1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Equipment to Use how long to Clear

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by outsidepride, Jul 31, 2008.

1. outsidepride

outsidepride Junior Member

Hi Guys I just acuired this property its a power plant and I have no idea how long it would take to do and do you think a 100 HP tractor with a 12 ft blade and a 3/4 Truck with a 8.5 V plow would be able to handle this? how long do you think it would take any input would be great all I do is Apartment buildings so this is new one for me Thanks in advance

5833_Ariel_view_of_the_site [640x480].jpg

2. gkm

gkm Senior Member

are you doing just parking lot or inside the plant as well?

3. outsidepride

entire site

4. gkm

gkm Senior Member

wow i would think you will need to have two trucks working the roads and the tractor for parking lot. of couse it depend on amount of snow and time of day. since you appartments now you are use to cars parked every where.

need to get better advice from some of the other guys with more experince with large sites.

good luck

greg:cool:

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

ok, i would have to take a better look,

but id say atleast 2 trucks, and 1 pusher, that never left the site....

what are their requirments? were does the snow have to go? I would think you might need a 5 yrd loader to move snow

6. A Man

A Man Senior Member

Just curious, but how did you knowledgably quote the property if your not confident in how much equipment it will require and how long it will take? I don't any lots quite that big but my guess would be in order to have it cleaned up in a reasonable amount of time, 3-4hrs,my guess would be you're going to require 2 tractors, a large skid steer and a truck, possibly a machine to do sidewalks and small areas. Congrates on winning the bid, that's a nice one for your portfolio. Good luck

7. outsidepride

I quoted it by charging on a daily basis for each piece of equipment so much for a loader and truck etc. and a hourly rate per equipment.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

i really think you need a big loader, with a pusher, and a skid steer , on top of ur truck , and tractor to me it doesnt look like they are going o just want you to throe he snow to the side, like a turck would do... i think they are going to want it moved to the furthest ends of the property

9. outsidepride

Yes thats what I was thinking but they basically said any amount of snow doesnt matter it either has to be salted or plowed the property has lots of room to put the snow. The tractor has a blade that is plow or pusher.the other truck has a salter and a plow but Do you think it would need two trucks? Plus the tractor? thanks for the input guys any is appreciated.

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

what is the sq foot age of the areas to be cleared?

11. outsidepride

not 100% sure because they are in the process of completing the plant but the site is 10 acres

12. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I would say 2 trucks and the loader......but they are def not leaving there anytime soon!:nono:

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

well, if its 10 acres of plowing , you would be very luck to plow it in less than 5 hours, with 2 trucks and ur tractor, and that would be considering basicly plowing.... not relocating the snow on site

14. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

that a big area ... at least two trucks and the tractor..if u use less in the first storm you will be wondering if youll ever finish and i bet they will be too

15. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

umm id say the tractor with a 16' pushbox not 12' and also the pickup. and a dumptruck with a 10' plow.

minimum.

if it were me i would have a loader and dumptruck there round the clock to keep it open and send a crew there to clear it.

fyi by crew i mean 4 pickups and 2 dump trucks.

but thats just me.

16. Neige

Neige Sponsor

A 16 foot box plow on a 100 hp tractor is way to big. Stay with the12 foot. As for what other equipment to use, what is the average snow fall? It also looks like most of the surface is gravel, which for me takes longer, and is harder to plow.

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

X2.......

Are you married to the plant managers daughter?

How did you bid it?

Why would they (the power plant) hire someone with out knowing if they can do the task at hand?
    You don't even know what to do? Admittedly

They will sue you for misfeasance right after the first snow...:nod:

Misfeasance is determined in relation to privily of contract. When a contract creates a duty that does not exist at common law, the parties can do one of three things: (1) perform the duty fully; (2) perform the duty inadequately or poorly; or (3) fail to perform the duty at all. When a party fails to perform at all, it is nonfeasance. When a party performs the duty inadequately or poorly, it is misfeasance. Malfeasance is used to denote outright sabotage which causes intentional damage.

Good luck...

18. elite1msmith

from chicago

i even learned somthing new ...thanks

19. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of equipment do you have? I wouldn't take on that job yet I don't have enough stuff. If it were me and if I had the right equipment, I would probably have about 4 pickups/small dumps there, and 2 or so skid steere's to do a complete plowing.

20. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

Also keep in mind there will be security issues as well. You will have to add time for, power plants don't just let you drive right inside their gates. They will probably require Name, social security number and a background check for ANY person that enters inside the facility. The pic looks like it is a coal plant so my guess would be that they would do vehicle searches, but depending on the terrorist threat level each day, they might.

I have to go through this on a regular basis. The company I work for (full time), repairs the pumping equipment for the plants, it doesn't matter if I go to the plant for the very first time ever or am working their everyday for a month, the security checkpoint is the same.

I would find out what they require when a person enters their main gate, and get all your employees pre-screened and on their "guest" list. This will cut down a few minutes when you get to the site.

So just getting into the facility could add a half hour or so to your time on-site each day....

Sorry for the long post. :drinkup:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008