1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What equipment makes the most money for you?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RON66106, Nov 11, 2004.

1. RON66106

RON66106 Member

Here in OZ we seem to be given more sleet than snow. With this being the case for me a spreader is a better money maker than the plow. The plow is a necessity don't get me wrong. I just would like to know what you guys/gals find in your areas. I know the upper states plow more than we do in Kansas so a plow is more than likely your best moneymaker. Just a thought/question. I know last year I spread twice as many times as I plowed. Ron
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If I could do just sanding, I would. I make a lot more money and faster, sanding than plowing. Also less wear and tear on the equipment. But there is much less call for sanding than plowing, so I make much more dollars total from plowing. I guess it depends on perspective. I've only had one account that wanted both, plowing and sanding. And this year they decided to cut out the sanding unless they call for it.
  3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Salters are the money makers here. I just looked it up for last year. We pushed snow 5 times and salted 31 times.
  4. RON66106

RON66106 Member

That is almost exactly what I did last year we salted 22 times and pushed only 4 times
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Salting is where most of the money is here. Last year we plowed 18 times and salted 41. We need 9 plow trucks and we cover off the same route with 3 salt trucks in less time. But if you don't plow you can't salt!!
  6. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

The spinner on my salter goes round & round. Way more money in salting than plowing. Most of my contracts are more $$ for salting than plowing. There is a low tolerance here for white streets and lots. I salt until my places are black to asphalt.
  7. last year I upgraded from my tailgate spreader to a v-box spreader. Due to the salt bag shortage. Well worth the investment of $3400. Had 4 more icestorms after that and Paid for the ice spreader 4 times over :yow!: payup :redbounce :nod:
  8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I know this isnt exactly what you was looking for but: I have a 200 dollar chain saw that has made me 30 g's this year....Rob
  9. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

:eek: :eek: payup :eek: I'm speechless.
  10. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Salting is the money maker for me. Minimal hours and only one guy to accomplish the salting operations.
  11. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I sub out the salting to a guy with a ten wheeler and a hydraulic salt gate. He can do it for half as much as I can. He has a big pole barn full of salt and a back hoe to load with. I still have a v-box but I use ice melter in it and slow down the flow to fill in for the salt guy. He also mixes in sand which lowers the cost and offers my clients more traction. I sell my clients on that the sand lowers the salt which can damage their landscaping. You might want to look into this type of sub if they are available in your area. To answer your question, I make more out of the ice control that I sub out.