1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Engine

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by The Grassman, Nov 12, 2003.

What type of Salters do you use and what Engine. Stainless Steel ?

1. Fisher

7 vote(s)
  2. HiWay

2 vote(s)
  3. Downeastner

1 vote(s)
  4. Air Flow & Others

6 vote(s)
  1. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

Looking at a v box salter $5'500 cash $6000 payment plan Air FLow stainless. What engine should i get if i go with other then Airflow ? Honda ? Fisher Stainless salter is expensive not sure if i would go for a fisher. I can get Downeaster Gas salters here are they any good ?

from SE PA

Fisher and western are the same salter and they are the best! In my little world! The engines I have are the snow king by Tecumseh. If you can get a Honda Do it! If it comes from Japan and looks like an engine, It is the best! Bar none! Most rental equipment comes with Honda or Kawasaki, and its not because there cheaper! The gravely dealer in my area has never had a Kawasaki 14Hp apart. ask how many K,T, & BS they have rebuilt. The one Kawasaki they had issues with, headquarters sent them a whole replacement engine, not a short block. I don't know about you but reliable customer service is what keeps me ahead of the competition! GOOD LUCK, LET IT SNOW!
  3. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

Keep in mind that the manufacturer of the salter does not warranty the engine. The engine is warrantied by the engine manufacturer. You may want to consider what is available in your area for engine repair. Or go with the Honda.
  4. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Get the Honda. You can't go wrong with it. They run great.
  5. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

I am sure Honda is good. I have one on my pressure washer 5.5 and have used rental Eq Thatchers and Aerators and they are good on fuel especially thatchers with the Honda's in it i can do a good number of places and hey hardly suck any gas back. I have had problems with my washer and it not wanting to start or it would start and then stall and then trying to start it would take 10 pulls for it to finally kick over what a pain in the ass that thing has been since day one and i don't use it much maybe in the 2 years i have owned it i used it 5 times and not for long either. The unit has been in for service 3 times in 2 years. 1 time 1st year 2 times this year. Small engine shop says its water in the gas tank and rusted in the card and they wanted $65+ to fix it i said no go i shouldn't have to pay, Honda wont cover the cost $ucker's the last time i took it in this year was the manufacturer they say its fine...

Onto the original topic.. Fisher over AirFlow Engine Brigs $5800 or D eastner $6500 Fisher $ almost 8g's all models stainless but last 2 with 11hp Honda. I dunno $2000 just for a Hondo engine and a Fisher sticker. I hear fisher had a problem with there salters last year they were spreading heavy to one side, offset deflector was the prob.

So i duno. The Air Flow or Down easter sound good i might go with a 2/3 Down Easter electric salter for this year if i dont have alot of work. I have a yard of salt to put down at my only site for this year.
  6. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Just picked up our new TARCO stainless steel spreader. Made at Tarrant Mfg in Saratoga Springs, NY. It has a 10.5 HP Briggs engine, ( they wanted $500 more for the Honda), its 10 feet long, 5' tall. Installed on a F-600 flatbed. It weighs 1600 lbs empty, and holds just under 5 CY of salt. Pictures to follow.
  7. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

Just sold my Downeaster sander last month, had it for 3 years and never had one problem with it other than the engine should have bought the Honda. Just bought a Meyers/Diamond Sander hope that lasts three years.
  8. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

So why did you get rid of it if it was good ?
  9. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

I bought a new F-350 and felt that when you buy a new truck you might as well buy a new sander to put on it. A local truck equipment supplier was selling new sanders for $2695 and at that price why not buy a new one.