1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What emergency equipment should I take?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by yellow78ford, Dec 3, 2005.

1. yellow78ford

yellow78ford Junior Member

I am going to be plowing for the first time ever. I am only doing my driveway and a few local relatives and friends driveways, all within 5 miles. I got a 78 F150 that is in great shape, I would drive it from east to west coast without a worry. I just serviced the E47 pump, it needed some new coils and a fluid change but all works well. Besides the basic tools I should bring with me when I plow outside of my home, what common failing parts should I keep on tap?

2. go plow

go plow Senior Member

your local towing companies phone number!!! just kidding, but that does help at times... if your just plowing people you know, friends family, i wouldnt worry much about what to bring with you , its not like your at a client house were its looks bad if your stuck in the drive.... i would say that if you keep good care of you plow & truck you should be ok. just check your fluids, hoses, lights, plow pins/bolts before you go out plowing.......as far as what could go wrong? lets face it you beating you plow and truck by plowing in the first place , you should be asking what cant go wrong??? lol but if your not plowing 50 drive ways, i wouldnt worry as you probably wouldnt be hard of your set up.. hope this helps... good luck to you.... i just would like to say that seeing you new to plowing and to this site, that if you have any issues the people on here are great!!!!!!!!!........good luck your first year!! LET IT SNOW....

3. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

A 'Come-a-Long' in case your hydraulics fail and you need to lift the plow to get home or a shop.:nod:

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

a cell phone

5. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I always have in a large rubbermaid: Jumper cables, coolant, oil, transmission fluid,bailing wire, wire cutters, gloves, tow strap, tow chain, tow rope, d-rings(recovery shackles), cable tire chains, first aid kit, and a flash light.

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

STEEL shovel (can;t scrape with plastic), bucket of sand, bucket of salt (traction on ice and melt said ice- not mixed if you can helop it. I find salty sand can be tougher to work with sometimes). Warm clothes, cell phone, tow chain (just incase- having your own means any truck driving by is potential help, not just a tow truck). Couple of candles and something to burn them in safely. A candle can keep a vehicle warm enough and can boil h20 if necessary, plus they're cheap and easy to store. come along is a nice-ty but a good ratchet tire down will suffice. Extra engine oil and atf fluid (truck and plow), basic hand tools (wrenches...) jumper cables or charged booster pack (one that is not left in the truck in the cold mind you...)

7. MisterIceMan

MisterIceMan Junior Member

Good luck! You have that much faith in your 78 ? east coast to the west coast ?? wow. I have a 05 Accord and I wouldn't put that much faith in it.
    Walk with a filled 5 gal of gas, 2 gals of coolant, starter spray, jumper cables(the heavy duty kind), a (LED if possible) flash light.
    TRANSMISSION FLUID, COOLANT, MORE COOLANT, Motor oil, wiper fluid.

8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Most of the other posters hit on everything--I didn't see brake fluid. Really want windshield fluid and at least one spare wiper blade--They can fall off and break---You should measure what hoses you have and carry one that matches the longest--this way it should fit in any application you have if one fails and fluid to go with that repair. Best of luck-- where your not going far and not working her hard hopefully you won't need any of this stuff. Ooh yeah--always carry spare belts!

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

So what have you been do'ing with this plow all this time?
    Remember guys he is just do'ing a few drives. Not Ohare runways.

Stay close to home and go slow and you will be fine.

Just don't spill your coffee.