1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What else do I need to do?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SnowMan4U, Oct 23, 2005.

1. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

I am getting a plow next week for my 2002 Chevy half ton. It has a "plow package". I am having a friend install a set of "hide away" strobes. The truck is a short bed. Do I need to add anything to the suspension?:confused:

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

You will probably have to crank up the torsion bars some. You will also need to add ballast behind the rear axle.

3. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

I have snow prep on my half ton. I was told not to mess with the torsion bar by the co. that put my Western on. Need about 400 lbs. in the back. It does matter on the plow and how your truck is set up, for sure.

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Chuck,
    Does your truck sag at all without turning up the torsion bars? Or are the snow plow prep trucks ok with stock front end?

SnowMan4U,
    Pending Chucks response, you may want to get a set of Timbren Load boosters http://www.timbren.com/ if it is needed.

Otherwise you should be all set. Iam not too familiar with GMs snow plow prep package but Id imagine it would include an aux tranny cooler and a bigger and or better radiator and fans. If you dont have it, its nice to have a tranny temp gage but far from necessary.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would also look into a tranny cooler with an electric fan. I just bought one from Jeggs performance magazine. With a thermal switch, the whole thing came to under a hundred bucks.

6. Buckeye Chuck

I forget what the sag amount was but it was very little, maybe inch and half? My 05's prep include tranny cooler and stiffer suspension. It does depend on the plow and what the installer thinks. My poly was about 660 lbs. total, I think. I drive the truck in the winter without the plow on the majority of the time, by far. The plow disconnects so quick, it's just not on the truck long and stiffening the front just isn't needed for me.

7. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

They make a half ton with a plow prep package?

When did this happen???

8. Buckeye Chuck

Well, I have an 05 and he has an 02, must be before 02 at least. :D

9. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

Snow plow prep packages have been in 1/2 ton chevies since at least 1999.