1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Dump Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fms, Sep 5, 2006.

1. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Just put a bid in on a good size contract. 600 +/- parking spaces and a good size driveway. If I get the contract I'll be pulling the trigger on a new diesel dump truck and I'm looking for input from people who own these vehicles.

Kodiak 4500 or 5500?
    F450 or F550?
    The new Dodge cab and chassis?
    Mitsubishi Fuso FG?

I will be attaching a 10' V-blade and a 3-4 yard spreader.

Plow trucks take such a freakin' pounding that my primary concern is finding the truck that's built the most solid. My 03' 3/4 ton dodge has been a great plow truck but, new wheel bearings, new tie rod ends, new front and rear U-joints.... I'm over working the truck with the accounts I have now.

2. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

5500 with an 8611

I see a lot of them setup around here doing lots. Talked to one guy who said the setup was like a tank.

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i'd say f 450 and 550 would be too small for your needs.

4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I would say the F-550 but I can't see it with a 10ft. blade though.

My next choice would be an International. They are producing the CDL beaters in 4wd now I believe.

5. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

A friend has an f450 with the Boss 10'V and he just traded in his old F450 for a new 450. He's loves the set up.
    Isn't an International a major step up in price?
    I'm going to test drive trucks this afternoon. We'll see if anything really jumps out.
    Thanks for the feedback and any additional feedback would be appreciated.

6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

If you go the "F" route, go all the way and go with the 550 instead especially if you are thinking of the 10 blade. They also will handle the weight associated with a sander better.

7. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I'd test drive a kodiak after test driving the Ford...you'll prolly jump into the kodiak.

8. sam973

sam973 Member

This is one way to look at the choice: Ford F 550 -17,950 gvw. GMC K5500 19,500 gvw.
    Dodge 3500 Chassis cab 12,500 gvw. What kind of weight do you need to be able to haul legally? That could make the decision for you. All three have way more motor than you will ever need in that size truck. The dodge actually has the most horsepower and torque, but the lowest GVW. It all depends on what you need to do with it.

9. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I drove the F550, Topkick 4500 and the Fuso FG today.
    The Fuso is out because it tows about as much as my pick up truck and only comes in a five speed.
    The Topkick was nice. It seemed a little more refined than the F550, but the one that I drove was loooong. I'd be uncomfortable in a crowded parking lot. In addition they wanted over 5% on a 3 year loan.
    So far the F550 looks like the best bet. The motor was louder than either of the others, the interior seemed like cheaper plastic and the seats weren't quite as comfortable, but the truck cost less and Ford is offering 0% for up to 48 months.
    I'll check out the other suggestions, but right now the F550 is in the forefront.
    Now I just hope like hell I get the contract.

10. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

The Kodiak's look to be nice trucks. Look at one last year at snow and ice expo. If I was to buy a ford it would be F650.

11. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

The F650 seems to be a little large for crowded parking lots.
    Why would you chose the 650 vs. the 550?

12. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Motor choice. Also 5500 and 650 are around same size.

13. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

As a side note...........

Not to get off the subject, but you may want to get the contract first and than go buy your truck with confidence. I have been in your shoes. I understand the logic. However experience has taught me that talk is cheap. Get your authorized contract by the deadline of your choosing, than go do some truck shopping.

The past few years I have discovered that it is much more fun to control your destiny than to constantly react to last minute decisions by property managers, owners, etc.

It really is fun to say NO to a late responding customer that you have no more route space for....... GOOD TIMES!!!

By the way, I absolutely love buying trucks! I think its a disease.

14. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

0% down time costs me too much! Skip saving a buck you will pay in the long run.

15. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I have no intention of buying prior to having a signed contract, however I have to have my plan in place now. If I get the contract in two weeks I'll need to purchase the truck that day, get it to have the plow installed and then to a different dealer to get the spreader installed and then to my guy to have the lights put in. It'll take a few weeks to get everything in place. I can't waste time trying to figure out what my best option is once the contract is signed.

16. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

If I was going to buy a baby dump, no question in my mind it would be a Kodiak 4500 or 5500 depending on what I needed. It sounds like you might want an f-650 if your going to do a 10' blade. Big differences in the 650's from the 550's. Air brakes will also be a nice touch over hydraulic.

17. I dont know why you guys dont think a F550 can't handle a 10' Plow???? I know my 250 and 350 both have Unimount Pro 8.5's with pro wings on both. I have no problem pushing with either, even without salt in the back. I think you will be just fine with a 550, even though I love the new 4500 and 5500 Chevy's!!!!xysport

18. wilburn

wilburn Member
    from Troy

I have 8611 blizzard on my F-550 and does fine with plowing.

19. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 2000 F-450 V10 with an 8611 on it an I have absolutely no problems. Even with 4 or 5 tons of salt in the back :D

51081CC3-FCDA-D5D0-72A5919F27443879.jpg

20. mr.plow

mr.plow Member
    from Toronto

my 2005 F550 4X4 has 19,000 gvw. I think the gmc5500 4X4 only has 17,500 gvw