1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What does the Plow Pre Package consist of?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turbo5560, Jul 27, 2007.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

I know that some trucks have the plow prep package, but what exactly is it? I mean is it more than dual batterys?

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

You dont get dual batteries. Its a larger 145-amp alternator, roof lamp provisions with the dash switch, an extra hole in the firewall, instrument panel jumper wiring harness for electric trailer brake controller, high-capacity air cleaner and skid plate package.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And on a GM truck, the most important thing of all......the upgraded fan clutch to help prevent overheating with the plow on.:D

4. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

According to the commercial sales manager at our local Ford dealership, on the Ford it just adds an additional leaf spring to the front end and costs only like $70 to do so.

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

on the new style 2500hd it's; skid plates, roof wiring provision ( that's a joke ), larger trans cooler, 160amp alternator. No firewall wiring provision, No cut off for the air bags. ALSO, it means that GM knows you will be putting on a plow so, less or no issues with warranty unless it's obvious malicious abuse.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Is it possible to have plow prep on a 2wd?
    A friend of mine has a '00 gmc 2500 2wd and he says it has plow prep and has no idea why. (He knows his stuff about machinery/engines/vehicles so I believe him.)

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not that I'm aware of on a 2 wheeler Mark...what lead's him to believe his truck is pp equipped? Just curious.

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm guessing his window sticker but I don't know for sure. He was even puzzled as to why a 2wd would have the plow prep package on it.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ask him to check the option decal inside the glove box for the "VYU" plow prep option code. I'd be curious to know....:nod:

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I was going to check the RPO codes in the glovebox when I see the truck but I couldn't remember what I was looking for.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Keep us posted on your findings Mark.....

12. Tahoeplower

Tahoeplower Junior Member

Taking a stab at it, but maybe the plow prep pkg and tow pkg have similar additions? Or if there was a sticker on the windshield, maybe the windshield is a replacement from a used truck? I realize this thread is 4 years old, just adding my 2 cents worth of ideas.

13. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

lmao.................My truck must have been a friday afternoon or monday morning special