1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What does salt do?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by stuie, Dec 31, 2005.

1. stuie

stuie Junior Member

Hi Folks
    Sorry for the very basic questions but i only seen snow and ice once in my life :eek: and been thinking about this.

What does salt do to stop snow and ice? Does it prevent freezing? How does it affect the landscape once the spring comes?

Its also too hot to go outside today well over 106F:yow!: :yow!:

Sydney Australia:yow!:
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Basically salt acts by melting ice and snow. If is ineffective below approx 17F. Actually, salt will freeze into clumps. It is very corrosive and will damage plants, crack concrete and will negatively affect almost everything it touches. This site should answer almost any question related to salt you can think of: http://www.saltinstitute.org/30.html
  3. stuie

stuie Junior Member

Thanks for the info Mick.:)
    Thats one interesting site.
    More of a science to it than simply throwing it around like one would feed chickens.
    Seems also it does cause problems but also appears to be a neccesary evil
    Sydney Australia:yow!:
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

It makes French Fries taste better.
  5. me1223

me1223 Member

it also helps to slowly corrode steel, concrete, and most other stuff slowly, basicly it makes steel rust faster than it would otherwise. but without it there is ice on the roads and parkinglots and people could get injured. Take some ice out of your freezer and put some salt on it, it will melt.

BIG DRIFT Member

Bingo Stuie:salute: