1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what does everyone use to spread calcium on sidewalks??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JAY'S LAWN SVC, Feb 15, 2010.

JAY'S LAWN SVC Junior Member

hey guys, i been wondering what everyone uses to spread calcium on sidewalks. I have always used a push spreader, but was trying to think of a quicker way to do it and cut down on manual labor. I was thinking of puting a little spreader on the back of my quad or rhino, or even possibly using a perma green spreader. We take care of a large upscale appartment complex and on a normal salting event we are spreading approximatly 80-100 50lb. bags per application. Also if anyone does any properties with lots of sidewalks, what are you guys using to clear the snow. i normaly have 1 quad, 3-4 snow blowers , and about 10-20 shovelers going on a decent snow event.
  2. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

You're using it straight? That's a whole lotta calcium.

Om topic, usually just walk-behind broadcast, but I know of a few guys that prefer walk behind (or towable) drop--less dust.
  3. leon

leon Senior Member

snow removal

The earthway towed or walk behind spreaders for deicing chemicals are easly repaired

and you can purchase replacement parts easily. the spreaders for granular deicing

chemicals have no exposed metal parts in contact with the deiciers as they have plastic

hoppers and the larger units have dual wheels.

The hitch tongues are very weak and should be replaced with a fabricated piece of steel
    to replace it- thats the only bad part as they will tip over with the stamped sheet metal hitch plates.

The parts for them are always available and the hoppers are easy to clean.

The hopper gate and delivery regulating controls are out of th e4path of the material being spread too which is a great way to do things.

The earth way folks also provide a printed set up tabke for thier spreaders to eliminate wasting material and spreading too much.

having one shipped by ups takes about 2-3 days from a distributor of their products.

II think you will find that you are using too much calcium chloride if you use an eathway unit or a larger tow behind unit like a Buhler

a metal spreader hopper will rust too.

The ATV UTV spreaders are either on or off just like the tail gate spreaders unless they have had a drastic design change.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010