1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What does everyone use for tires in the winter

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by ram_tough2001, Jul 22, 2010.

1. ram_tough2001

ram_tough2001 Senior Member

hey everyone. i was just wondering what y'all used for tires on your trucks in the winter for plowing. i have a set of BFG M/T's on my truck right now. will those be ok for plowing? or should i look for a good A/T?

2. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

Bridgestone Revo two's, I just priced em out at 265 75 16 ten ply for my F-250 801 out the door. Excellent in the snow.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

No get the bfg AT

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Same as my summer tires.

5. ram_tough2001

i heard the A/T's wear unevenly and end up cupping...so far im liking the m/t's but i gotta shape my lower fender a bit to to a clearance issue, until i can get a leveling kit for the front even though i already brought it up 2 inches. gonna go up another 2 inches in the front and 3 in the back.

6. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Cooper snow tires on the GM and Toyo snows on the Ram. I'm sure mudders are good in snow but not on ice

7. ram_tough2001

i have the stock 16's i can put on if i dislike the m/t's but the m/t's are 35's on a pretty much stock suspension so we will see

8. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

15k on my BFGs and their doing fine, I should probably rotate them.

9. ajslands

No don't use mud terrains, unless you don't want to get around in the snow. Get the bfg AT

10. ram_tough2001

im going to stick wiith the mts for now. recently unemployed so the cash flow is gone

11. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

I use mud star tires on both trucks, we get them at Kost Tire, never had an issue, and i hardly hav to use 4-wheel in the dump

12. ram_tough2001

thats just whati wanted to hear. thanks. all i need to do now is get a 1-1.5 inch leveling kit from topguncustomz.com because with the plow on im gonna rub like crazy!

13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I have a pair of 3" spacers from ProComp sitting at home on the shelf if you're interested.

14. ajslands

well ya if your tight for cash, someone is bound to say what you want to hear, but you wont take the advice from the half of dozen others. or the other 50 threads on this same topic.

15. ram_tough2001

i was mainly asking if mt's would be ok. i got a set of brand new ones for free from a neighbor. but still with being unemployed ican still ask questions and get answers. i got the answer i was looking for.

16. ram_tough2001

this is so very tempting. but i only need about 1.5 inches because with the plow the front drops about 3/4 inch and the tires are rubbing a tad bit right now at full turn. so i think 1.5 inches should be perfect.

17. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i use yoklahoma geolander ats, great tire for a dailydrive/ plow truck

18. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

You sure? They're the HD cast Aluminum ones, not the plate/tube ones you buy on ebay....:cool:

19. ajslands

What if they don't work at all? Does that mean you can't plow?

20. ram_tough2001

yeah 3 inches is way too much for what i want right now. my girlfriend can barely get into it as it is.