1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WHat does everyone think?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Pete7, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Pete7

Pete7 Member

I am about to order a new truck, I am a homebuilder in Orange COunty, ny. I use the truck all year long running from site to site and to carry materials from time to time. I am currently driving a F150 super crew cab and it is to light. I am considering the f250 super crew cab with the 6.75 foot bed. A few friends have told me that the difference between the 250 and 350 in terms of fuel cost is minor and that no matter which truck I get I should get the V-10. They say it is more fuel efficient? Obviously fuel cost is going to be high but I am just trying to compare the 250 vs 350 and the v8 vs the v10.
    I currently have a fisher on one of my job trucks but was considering getting the sno way--v plow mainly for the Down Pressure system, however I plow a lot of site drives with rocks and scrap wood. I have heard horror stories about the leaxn shattering. I would appreciate any thoughts or feedback.
    Pete

2. DIESEL PLOWGUY

DIESEL PLOWGUY Member

Snoway v plows are nice I would look around at plows in your area test em out find a dealer you like that is close to you. So if you have a problem you dont have to drive far to get it fixed. I would say get the DIESEL if you can swing it. If not I would go with the V8 it has way more power than the 04 V8. The V10 is nice but its super thirsty for the ever so costly gas. The V8 will suite you fine unless you do any major pulling then I would say gohttp://www.plowsite.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=209643#
    redbounce for the V10.

3. jobowker

jobowker Junior Member

I can't speak fo rthe 2005 model, but I can for the 2004. You can expect between 12-14 mpg for the v8, and 10-12 for the v10. If you get the v8 with a low rear axle ratio(4.10 gears) you can expect mileage to be pretty close to what you would get with the v10. You are not going to get better mileage with a v10. That said, the difference isn't that much. I have the v8 and it does the job fine, but the mileage difference isn't that much, and the cost of the v10 isn't much either, although they are harder to find.

As far as the diesel goes, it is better, stronger, and more fuel efficient, but too expensive for me. If I towed a large trailer everyday it would be a necessity, but around here diesel is more expensive than regular unleaded, so if I took the extra 3 or 4 grand that I would have spent on a diesel and put that money in a shoebox, and then at every fillup I took some money out to cover the extra I spent, the shoebox would be empty around 120,000 miles, assuming I paid cash for the truck and didn't finance that extra 3k.

The 350 is essentially the same as the 250, except a little more travel to accomodate additional weight. Hope this helps!!

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I can't help you on the engine question, but I'd say go for the 350. I have a 96 250 and unfortunately they didn't make a 350 for the config. I wanted. Would have gotten it if I could. Added benefits of the 350 outweigh the added cost. As far as being worried about the lexan cracking. Don't. Replace the lexan with stainless and you will be good to go with a nice looking plow to boot. As far as I know all snoways have the removable moldboard part of the plow. Not sure about the V's though. If you got to their site, you can look at the plows... I just did. You can get the V with stainless or regular steel. New website from snoway, looks like they offer a trip edge plow now too. Guess they are moving up in the world.

5. catskill

catskill Junior Member

superduty for sure

pete, i have the 2002 f250 extended cab with an 8ft. fisher.the motor is the 5.4v8 and it has done everything i ask of it and then some.i think you will be happy with it.if you plan on keeping the truck for a very long time or plan on towing heavy equipment with it then by all means consider the deisel.good luck in your choice.by the way what part of orange county are you from,i used to live in between coldenham and walden myself.

6. PPP

PPP Member

Good Choice in Trucks

Based on what you are going to do with the truck you will know what one will work for you best. There's a web site called ford truck enthusiast that may help you make your decision. For myself I tried to do as much research on the purchase of a new ford F-250 of 350 that I ended up ordering an F-250 with the V-10 (still on order). The difference in the 05-06 model year is insignificant for the F-250 vs. F-250. The 350 has 2 inch larger blocks in the rear and 18 inch tires standard for about $1,300 so I put the extra cash into options on the F-250. Plus in my opinion the F-250 seems a little bit more salable when it comes time to sell it.In prior years there was a significant difference in the two. I do not tow much, but when I load the truck I want it to MOVE like there is nothing back there. The diesel is supposed to be a great engine, but unless you are going to work the truck out hard with much towing and high miles you may not realize any gains from the initial investment. I've driven the 04 5.4 V-8's and the new 05 V-8 and there is a night and day difference between the two, but after having test driven a commercial chassis with the V-10 I had to order one with that engine. When your barely cracking double digits for gas mileage then you might as well have something that's going to let you have fun driving it.
    Best of luck. And no matter what you choose you wont go wrong with either truck :)

7. somm

somm Senior Member

Diesel fuel is traditionally more expensive during the winter months, but will treat you better in gas mileage and towing-torque. Either an F250 or F350 with a plow-package (or else retrofit the springs like we did for about 2 grand additional on our F250).

We're with D-Plowguy on the engine choice. Why wouldn't you want an engine that will outlast the truck, give superior snow and towing performance, and then bonus you with even better gas mileage (18 city, 22 hwy) when it goes over 30K miles? Be sure its got glow plugs for your winter starts.

AS A SELLING POINT, OR NONESSENTIAL CONTINGENCY OF THE SALE -
    NO MATTER WHAT YOUR ENGINE CHOICE, MAKE YOUR FORD TRUCK DEALER INSTALL ALL- AROUND (4 sets of) HD-HEAVY DUTY BRAKE PADS - WHICH ARE *****NOT***** STANDARD-EQUIPMENT ON FORD SUPERDUTY'S!!!!!
    We love Ford's, but the company is notorious for putting "lightweight" brakepads on its vehicles.
    Best example is the Explorer - which is essentially truck, but all Ford mechanics will tell you has sedan-brakepads on it !!!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

while the diesel will definitely give you better mileage over a gas engine. Do not expect to get 18-22 mpg unless you are completely empty with a light foot and staying within speed limits. Diesel would be my choice for a new truck, but it's your call.

9. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

f-350, with the v8. you will never need anything more unless your pulling a skid-steer every day. Have a 350 with the old 351v8 and it has always been enough power. If your worried about gas mileage, your in the wrong business. LOL. good Luck!!

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I work as a Paramedic on all Power Stroke vehicles. If you can afford it go F-350 with the P/S. My Bro-Inlaw (a Doctor) has the V12 F-350 4x4 and he wishes daily he went with the P/S Diesel ! WE get 250k + miles out of the engines and they still pull strong. Good MPG and fuel is easy to find. You can pull a skid steer on a trailer and not even notice it's there.