1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What does bulk Salt wiegh?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MSL INC., Jan 20, 2004.

1. MSL INC.

MSL INC. Junior Member

How much does salt weigh per cubic yard. Alot of salters express their capacities in cu. yds only and I need to consider what the unit (new Sno-Ex V-pro) wieighs loaded ?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Coarse - 1350#
    Fine - 2025#

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Mick, those are really good numbers.

MSL, don't forget salt does contain moisture. And, like dirt, can weigh more or less depending on moisture content. Not by much though. + or - 100#'s

When shopping for a v box spreader, there should be 2 different capacities. One cap. for a (struck) load which is where the salt is level to the top of the box. The other is (mounded) where the salt is piled higher than the top of the spreader. The difference between the two can vary greatly depending on the overall size of the salter.

4. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, Plow Meister. Actually, I should have given credit to Chuck Smith. He got them from a chart he had.

5. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

All salts are going to weigh different. I would say a fare estimate is 1 cubic yard is = to about 1600 #'s +/- 100

Weighed my unit(vee pro 8000) full 5 different times with 2 different types of salt. The avg. was about 2500#s

I also filled it with bags and it held 2500#

6. MSL INC.

MSL INC. Junior Member

Elite1, was that w/ it "heaped" or "level"? I can carry a full pallet on my '99 Dodge 2500 now w/ no problem. (a full pallet-50# bags- is always 2450#) :confused:

7. Mick

from Maine

(More confused) That would only be 49 bags.

8. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

2500 # bagged was slighty heaped. The bulk salt was heaped completely, some spilled in to the bed on both sides.

I am thinking about making sides out of 1 inch thick plex-glass
    any ideas???

9. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Mick- only 49 bags is a full pallet.

MSL,inc - yes no problem as fare as the weight goes. The cubic capacity of the spreader allowed me to hold 2500# of bagged, not the weight.

I know that dodge claims it is a 3/4 ton. I also know that you can safely put 3400 # in the back- (guy I know works for dana)

I have a scale ticket for sand, 4,400 lbs. Long story why I was that fare over loaded. But no problems:) :)

10. MSL INC.

MSL INC. Junior Member

Yup. 49 bags is a full pallet-7 on layer-7 layers high. I plow w/ a full pallet all the time. I'm confident in the truck. It also has what ya call a "camper pkg" on it, which means it has the xtra overload(2 stage?) springs on the back.
    Elite1-thats funny about the sand-I bet she was draggin' bumper!:D

11. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Well, it was on a Saturday and the pit closed early. I didn't think that they closed at 10:00. I was forced to get what i needed in 2 trips. The first was 4400lbs and the second was 4100.

I made sure I kept the weight Tickets. I only had to go about 4 miles.

It was low but not bottomed. Hitch was still about 10 inches off the ground.

I load 5 yrds of wet premium mulch in that truck (SWR) and still hook my 24 foot Trailer to it, only because I Know it can. I buy Heavy Duty for a reason, I might as well use it.