1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What does anyone recommend about chains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ROYALT91, Dec 4, 2004.

1. ROYALT91

ROYALT91 Member

I Know that chains can be very helpful in those big all night storms they really can save a little out of that clutch. Im thinking of grabbing a set for the bigger storms where the roads are covered. I was wondering i have a locker if that would be to harsh or would be better having. What brands are on the quieter side or whats any recomendations.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I always keep a set in my tool box ready to go and a few pair of jersey gloves too to put them on in the cold too. They have save my tail a few times in past years

3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

We never had a need for chains in fact we hardly use 4 wheel drive.With a sander and a good set of m/s tires limited slip that seems to work very well.But i mean if there is 10 inches and your pushing up hill we would use 4 wheel.Plus i think top speed with chains should only be about 35 mph

4. Tarkus

This is true about speed limit but I have gone with chains in 2wd were regular 4x4 would not go and for seriously nasty plowing in long drifted country driveways or lanes, chains are "it". It is better to have them and not need them then need them and not have them.

5. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Royalt91

I don't think you would need chains seeing as how you have a locker and 4x4. I had to run chains on my Mitsi the first year because of a weight issue. They are loud and wear out fast. It sure gets your attension when a cross link brakes and starts slapping metal some where. I keep my set handy just in case.I "had" a customer that had a long dirt driveway that didn't have good water run off. I had use them every time I plowed if they had ice patches.

Gene

6. intlco

intlco Senior Member

A lot of guys out here use chains because our roads never get plowed. And the patrol requires them on mtn passes when snow is bad.
    I personally don't use them, I've get the locking diff on all trucks, and then get a set of Winter Severe Snow Service Tires and have them studded.
    It works great and you don't have to play around with taking chains on and off.

7. Tarkus

Chains can be a pain on when I used to use them on 2WD trucks, I would kep them mounted on another set of tires and rims in back of truck as it was sometimes quicker to change whole tire and rim and it is easier to tighten and adjust them too. Nothing toughs the traction of a chain though when things get "ugly"

8. WELDER

WELDER Member

for me chains are a no no.people get mad when they see me spinnin the tires on there new blacktop driveway with a set of chains.......and i look in the customers house window and all i see is this........... :nono: ........and this..... :eek: :eek:

9. Tarkus

It is like common sense as to when to use them. (like when you are going nowhere fast without them and ice is bad)

10. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

WHAT? Are you on a Nascar pit crew? I can hang a set of chains in less than 3 minutes. Just how fast can you change a set of tires?