1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What does anyone know about the SWENSON LPV?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DuallySnoPusher, Feb 22, 2006.

1. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

Im upgrading to a v-box for next year. I like the idea of electric but have heard bad things about SnowEx, so i have been looking at the SWENSON LPV. Has anyone used one or has anything to say about them?

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Yep, I bought one this fall and I have had zero troubles. I did change the drive sprocket to a smaller one to speed it up but that is all. A swing a way chute would be nice though.

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

have a PV, highly recomend it. as far as i know they make spreaders for several companies. only thing i dont like is that it is carbon steel. get a s.s. if you are going to spread salt. otherwise you'll have to replace it in 10 years.

4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

Swensons are great spreaders. I cant justify the price difference in the SS vs. carbon. The conveyer chain is steel on either and will only last so long anyway. They are big $$$. It'll be more practical to buy new spreader over a conveyer chain when it does puke.

5. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I wash my LPV usually after every use ( local self serve) and soak it with a coating of diesel fuel. Just use a cheap garden sprayer and soak it. Keeps any rust from starting.

6. Jay brown

ss vs carbon is all about buying something that will last the life of your business or buying something that you will have to replace two or three times throught your business life. i guess thats why they make both.

7. Jay brown

i need to do that, but i keep ours loaded after each use

8. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

when the conveyer chain rusts out in a couple of years on the stainless spreader what would you do? have you ever priced a replacement conveyer chain???

9. Jay brown

chain should last more than a couple of years. our chain is original and it outlasted the bottom of the box and motor mount. never priced a new chain, i may be way off but they should be under $600. i wouldn't mind spending this kind of money for parts on a quality product. i guess i'm a loner on this topic.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  10. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

Well, Im all for buying stuff that lasts, and I really pride myself in the way I clean and maintain my equipment investments, but spreaders are one of those things that I, personally, find it more economical to skimp on the Stainless and go for the cheapy carbon steel. I am on 6th V-box and the most I get out of them is 5 years or so. Of course my geographic region is different than yours. And alot of my commercial customers have zero tolerance for ice. Im not sure how much you use your spreaders in KC, but its nothing for me to run 10 ton of material through mine during an event.

11. Jay brown

10 ton would last us all season. glad i'm not a roofer in your climate. that would be slick up there on thoes roofs.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006