1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you use to load bulk ice melt?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by plowfever, Dec 10, 2011.

1. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I am wondering what you guys are using to load your spreaders up. I figure this would be a good subject to talk about. I know I am considering just buying a cheap skid loader that maybe has a ton of hours that I don't mind if it gets ate up by the salt.
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Cat 252. Newer. Don't go too old, you need it to be reliable.
  3. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

A couple mexicans with shovels work cheap :laughing:
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A friend of mine uses rubber maid storage containers. You can't lift them full into the truck but at least you don't have to deal with a lot of buckets. The salt should flow fine if you just put it in and spread it. You'll need a vibrator if you drive around a lot and let it pack and settle.
  5. pushinpaul

pushinpaul Member

1970's Case W-14. Loading salt is pretty much all we use this machine for anymore but its still better keeping an extra machine around than rotting out one of our newer ones.
  6. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Skid steer....
  7. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Bobcat T300. It sucks in the snow so we just keep it in shop to load salt.
  8. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

2009 Cat 906h
  10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

T-190, to expensive to burn up the track pushing snow, so it works great loading salt.
  11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I get most of my salt from a local supplier, but occasionally I dump off what I have left and use my mini-skid to re-load it.

12. G.McNeill&Son

G.McNeill&Son Member

We use a old 580 case backhoe. Its a yard machine only. I think you have the right idea for a older inexpensive machine
  13. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I can't see using a newer machine and have it eaten up with salt. I am going to keep my eye out for maybe a older small wheel loader. Something like the little kubotas. I'm opening a garden center this spring so something like this would be perfect for loading mulch and rock and I wouldn't have to haul my skid there every time someone wanted some mulch.
  14. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Wash it off the next day when we wash out all our salters also spay some disel fuel on it cheaper than fluid film
    Machine has to be reliable or u could lose everything if you can't salt