1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you use for walks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossman 92, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking to see what everybody uses for walks. I have a smaller toro snow blower and a bunch of shovels. I am looking to set up a sidewalk crew for this winter and I am tired of hearing the guys piss and moan about how the blower doesnt go fast enough and well shovels just suck. We have a few places where we do walks that are almost 20' wide, but most places are small 3' to 4' wide. I couldnt justify a atv or utv right now, but looking for a good all around snow blower. Something that they could pick up and load in and out of the truck.

Thanks Bossman
  2. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I'm in a similar situation - we use toro single stage blowers and shovels but I'd like to upgrade. I don't think a 2 stage is the answer. I've been considering the atv w/plow.
  3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I recently added an ATV with plow, and it works great, especially for windrowing long sidewalks adjacent to parking lots out for the plow trucks. Too much of a pain for the small stuff though, as it isn't especially maneuverable. Single stage blowers are faster than 2 stage's, until it gets wet and heavy or real deep. All depends on your operation, whether it makes more sense to add a couple more laborers with blowers or equipment such as an ATV or compact tractor. payup
  4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I went from two stage blowers to single stage blowers and now I have an ATV. Usually one guy is on the ATV getting the bulk of it, one is running a blower detailing for the ATV and another does smaller details and steps with a shovel.
  5. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

We use an army of shovels if we must, after that a large walk behind sweeper, blowpaks or single stage Toro snowblowers. If we get wet heavy snowy as we have this april then the snowblowers take care of it with ease. As our snow is normally light, the sweeper and blowpaks take care of them with ease. Started a new guy that had moved out here from Ontario (he made it 2 days), he could not believe that we used blowpaks on sidewalks and driveways. Nice thing about -30C I guess, makes snow light and easy to move.
  6. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Little blower is the best ive come up with. Its just to easy to pick it up and throw it in the back of the truck.
  7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We are proud owners of 138 of them it was 150, others didn't show back up? You can replace (as we have) the blades on them.
  8. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a couple of these http://www.snoblade.net/. I wonder which came first? Interchangeable parts?
  9. kmangin

kmangin Junior Member
    from Midwest

Yes, parts are interchangeable.
    Mullis56, thanks for supporting the product.

10. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Yea, Mullis, thanks for posting that website. I heard of them last year, but forgot. For the price of a good single stage I can buy several of them.

Thanks Bossman
  11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Yes they are great shovels (we have several dakota snoblades)....but not to be substitutes for blower work. Good for 4 inches or less of lighter snows on "long narrow walks". We have started to use TheSnowPlow shovels more than the dakota snoblades....but account situtions/layouts have had some effect on that. Some of the REALLY long narrow walks that we use to use Dakota snoblades on, are now being done with an ATV. And the smaller commercial account walks with a set of steps or 2 are done quicker and easier with an actual shovel like TheSnowPlow. At the HOA's where we are trimming out along the drive edges/garage doors, & clearing off the front porch, TheSnowPlow shovels & single stagers are the tools of choice for us.

Most of my guys keep a few different styles of shovel with them, and our single stage Honda blowers have performed really well while still being easy enough to put in/out of a truck.

If your "walk guys" are b!tching about using a shovel, then maybe you should be looking for new guys.....not new tools? Isnt using a shovel 1 of the requirements of walk crew employees?:confused:
  12. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

20 Foot wide walks? Drive the truck on them and plow them. Other than that, if your not ready to spend some money on an ATV, or something, stick to the blowers, and shovels.