1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you use for back up lights??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LB Landscaping, Oct 22, 2005.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Looking or some nice back up lights to add to my 1 ton dump. I am going to weld a bracket to mount them on and beef the up. I want something bright!!!!

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

If you do a search you'll find a bunch of posts. I just threw some driving lights on and hooked them up to a relay. Huge difference. My windows are tinted 5% on the back (limo tints) and 20% on the fronts. I couldn't see a thing at night out of them. It's like backing up in the sunlight with the lights on!!

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I tryed a search but the search feature wasn't working :realmad: . What kind of driving lights? Are you talking halogen or lie a fog light??

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

i just mounted some work lights on my back rack and wired them to my switch panel

6. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Im in the middle of installing the rubber encased tractor lights. I have them mounted to the existing outer hols in the step of my bumper and angled a bit to the sides. Running it through a relay to a junction block and off to the battery etc, but lots of guys use tham as back ups.

hey quick question guys.

Do any of you plow with your tailgate down? I have an extended cab and it seems I can see a lot better with it down.

7. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Also....anyone ever install extra driving lights on the plow frame? I have an MD11 that has a spot thats crying out for a couple lights and I can see some extra being helpful.

What about the xenon bulbs?

How do they work in the snow?

8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i remove my tailgate for the winter. it is alot eaiser to see when backing and 1 less thing to damage if i screw up.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Just don't mount them low below the bumper,you back into a snow bank and they are killed--> dead.

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Everytime I put back up lights on my truck I break them off by the 3rd or 4th snowfall...lol

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Try tucking them near the hitch if you have one. I use 2 rubberized off road lights and spliced them into my reverse lights. It works great! they are very bright and I can angle them however I want.

12. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

On fords they had like a 1/4" thick part of the where the ball hitches bolt on and usually extends away from the license plate about 2 inches each side. I made some tabs so i mount the lights in the middle of the bumper to the sides of the L plate so it is full viewable. I use the plastic walmart square lights.....10 bucks, so when they break i can easily get a quick replacement and plug them in.

forgot to add, the switch they came with has a led in it so you know when they are on. I set it up as a manual on, off, and auto on that come on with reverse lights. I usually leave it on manual on as kind of an extra light so more people see me while plowin

13. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Heres my setup. Im not wiring them into the reverse lights but toggle switching them. At night Ill leave them on all the time as Im doing commercial/industrial only.

Truck Fall05 014.jpg

14. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Here's my set-up... I found this bumper in a junkyard for $100,.. it has 4, 55-watt marine waterproof decklights recessed into it.. each at a different angle to flood light out the back at almost 180°. Double switching back-up lights with a relay is the best way to go... on, off, or on when you shift into reverse, which is how I run mine most of the time. I also made removeable clear covers for these so they don't fill in with snow. It's unbelieveable how nice it is to see EVERYTHING behind you !!

Bumper with lights on (2).JPG

15. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

On my old truck I had a pair of rubber tractor lights, trapezoid beam, hanging down under my rear bumper. Absolutely the best I've ever used. The rubber was extremely flexible, hit many snowbanks and never even broke a bulb! It would bend right up behind the bumper and not break. I also put 50 watt bulbs in my factory backup lights. I never had any luck with the round ones that are supposed to be rubber tractor/utility lights, they're not bright enough and not flexible enough. If you go to any tractor dealer you can find them. They are square with a little bit of a hood to them. I used to see a town plow pickup that had two real bright lights mounted up underneath the back of the truck, couple feet from the bumper pointing down and back. I dont know how effective it was but it sure looked cool.

16. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Alask Boss, that bumper is kicka$$!

17. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Really man. My puny little beams are envious now.

Hey guys.....gimme a short lesson on double switching this setup.

I know how to wire it through the relay and such to a switch which I have....not installed yet.

Im planning on running one wire to the relay from the lights then fused to the battery, grounded and off to the switch.

At what point would I tap into the reverse lights at the back of the truck?

Just a little confused.

:help:

18. lumps

lumps Senior Member

i'm thinking of mounting one to the bed rail, right next to the tailgate... this will keep it out of snow banks (hopefully!!) and i think the height will give a better angle for the light. anyone else do this?

19. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

I considered it. I have a sprayed in bedliner that extends up on the bedrails that Ida had to scrape off......And I didnt really want to look at them up there all summer but that was my other choice.

I can see tapping them under the hitch as well but was concerned with losing them if I backed into a pile or whatever.

20. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

the higher up you go the crappy the light spread gets, because you need a steeper angle to the light to aim at the same spot. Like how the plow lights suck comapred to the normal headlights.

I am not sure where to tap into on your truck but on mine for the switch i got one with on/off/on with double terminals on the back, two terms for each position. So for the middle on one side i jsut add the power coming from you reverse sensor that turns you normal lights on. Then for the terminal you want to have for your aux backup lights on send a wire off of it to the remote side of the relay, the same spot you ran for the manual on power wire.

this should help clear the understanding
    [​IMG]

that would be the back up a switch with the double terminals. The way i have it set up is the toggle down it is on auto, toggle up manual control.....clear as mudd