1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you use as blast?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Rick547, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I've been using 40# bags of salt but I'm sure their are better methods out there.

2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Do a quick search, theres a bunch of threads

3. Truarn

Truarn Junior Member

60 # and 70 # tube sand bags.

4. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks, I did that and as much as I enjoy reading I don't have a week to find a good answer.

Unless I find a better method I will stick with 320# of bags of salt.

5. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Buy a mans truck you dont need ballast LOL

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Dynamite!!!! Hahahaha

Sorry couldn't help it

8. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

an oldy but a goody . there is huge difference with ballast plowing snow . on solid ice , you could have an elephant on the back and both you and the elephant will not stop or gain any traction. . some just have to find out the hard way . chains do help on flat grade

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I run studs in my winter set tires

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats why I'm confused :confused:......... You meant ballast, not blast! :dizzy:

Here I'm thinking you are talking about the blast button on a spreader.... :waving:

11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Pipe filed with lead that plugs into the receiver hitch

12. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I thought he was talking about sandblasting media. [​IMG]

13. Truarn

Truarn Junior Member

You mean "nose blast", ya know the white stuff that people snort ? Times are tough but 40 lb. bags ?......Like you must have some really clear sinuses man ! :eek:

14. theholycow

Yeah...it's cold medicine...they also make it in a heated vapor inhalant form...
    [​IMG]

15. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I noticed that after I posted the thread. I will admit I'm not the greatest speller in the world but I also try to type fast and I do not go back as I should and reread what I have written before posting.

Thanks for the reply!

16. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Okay so I'm a dumb ***. So can we move on. Better yet since their are so many spelling police on the site that would rather point out my short comings than to help. Maybe it is just better I leave.

17. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

Try finding some tractor front end weights, or basically as big of a chunk of steel as you can. I like them because they don't take up much room. I can get 700 lbs using the same space as maybe 2 bags of salt.

18. theholycow

Make sure to secure it really well.

19. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

A 30" concrete septic tank lid and a Daniels pull plow on one. 200 gallons of calcium chloride in another. Still another is ballasted by a fully loaded service body.

20. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

I use an old Super single tire from a 53' box van trailer axle. I put in a rebar grab hook and filled it with concrete. I can load it up with a skid and a chain quick, and it weighs about 450-500lbs