1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you use as a base for your salt pile?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lasher66, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Hi,
    I have recently purchased some land and want to have a truck of salt brought in and currently have no concrete pads are anything. Just a stone driveway with grass on sides. What would be the best way to prepare for 40 ton of salt to be dropped. For now I am probably just gonna cover it with a tarp but not sure if I should put down something or prepare the ground where I am gonna drop the pile. Any suggestions?

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

A cement pad would be ideal
    Along with some mafia blocks to contain it and some type of roof, a tarp is a pain in the ass when you're in a hurry to get salt

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Can you just dump 80,000 pounds on the ground? I don't know what ur states regs are but I'm guessing the EPA would have issues.

The run off will kill all plant life, you have neighbors?

4. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Wow! As profesionals we need to be knowledgeable and profesional. Both seem to be lacking. I encourage you to install an impervious surface and build a storage bin to limit your impact on the environment. There are legal and moral responsibilities involved with purchasing and storing bulk products.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

State of Ohio
    Ohio Water Resources Council
    State Coordinating Committee on Ground Water
    Recommendations for Salt Storage
    Guidance for Protecting Ohio’s Water
    Resources

http://epa.ohio.gov/portals/35/owrc/SaltStorageGuidance.pdf

"All salt should be stored, mixed, and loaded on an impervious pad to prevent salt from
    infiltrating into the subsurface."

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  6. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

In my opinion, Asphalt base with a concrete approach and mafia blocks covered by a least a good tarp. Permanent roof would be ideal. But definitely not directly on the ground. You will thank yourself for building a salt bin.

7. STARSHIP

STARSHIP Member

Cement pad, bin block walls, and a cover (roof or hooped cover) over it.

8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Heck Herm, he's asking before he dumps it on the ground. You have a bunch of knowledge that you could share with those of less experience.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Will they let you use a roll off dumpster to store the salt in?

10. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Framer, read my post again. After expressing my opinion about the OP's lack of knowledge I did in fact suggest what he needed to do.

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sure looks to me like Herm did share his knowledge.

12. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

What if....

You threw a couple of deer on the ground, then dumped the salt on top of them.

Wouldn't you be "technically" be making "deer jerky" ???

:confused::confused:

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

^^^^^ in Colorado, I think it's call Buff jerky.

14. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I was actually thinking about doing this for this winter. The cost to do a bin the right way isn't in the cards this year and its not something I want to do twice. The conex box suppliers around here are pretty adamant about not putting salt in their units as well. I was thinkinga 30 yd can and put a makeshift roof on it

15. STARSHIP

STARSHIP Member

Put one of these carports over it ($600-$1000) and you're good to go.

Another idea that came to mind, check with an aggregate transport company in your area. They may have an old lead or pup belly that may have been in an accident, and they can't use anymore. Again, put a cover over it to keep it dry and protected and it should work pretty good.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015