1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do you think

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by stunter2boy79, Jan 4, 2010.

1. stunter2boy79

stunter2boy79 Member

well we had snow here all day in cleveland, i was out plowing and got some gas inbetween my route. truck ran great then put gas in it was almost on e, now was driving to next account and as going up and over a brigde and felt like it didnt get fuel for a sec. push gas pedal and it got fuel. so made it to next account w/o any problems. finished it and on my was home it started again. would push the clutch in to try and save it sometimes it just stalled. wouldnt go over 30 before it started jumping and felt like not getting gas. when i came to a stop it would barley move and if it would i would have to play with it w the clutch. then when i think its ok i try to go over 30 and it would just act up again. tried the highway for a bit and she wouldnt go. while on highway shifted to 2nd n and felt had no power. i would have to play with the gas pedel to keep it going just right. man o man never moved so slow on the highway ceopt for rush hr lol. from a dead stop she wouldnt move for time to time but sometime moves w.o a problem. she startes up fine and idle fines. fuel filter change over the summer.
    what do you guys think it is? i think maybe bad gas but dont know when sending unit and fuel pump where replaced last.
    sorry for a long post.
    Adam
    k5 blazer 350 3 speed w granny gear.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It does sound like you received a bad batch. What year is the truck?

3. stunter2boy79

stunter2boy79 Member

its a 1980. would it be ok to add more gas to try and delute it or get rid of the gas i have in there and put new in. only about a lil under a 1/4 tankk in there

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok so its carb'ed. If you've already run it down to 1/4 tank then I'd just refill it with fresh gas, and also add a bottle of SeaFoam. Would also be a good idea to remove the fuel filter and take a look at it too and probaly replace it while its out. See if there's any indications of water...or you're just dealing with a dirt issue. If it still has the stock Q-jet on it still, when you check the filter you need to look INSIDE it, not just on the outside as the fuel is filtered by flowing from the inside out. Opposite of the way most fuel filter work.

5. stunter2boy79

stunter2boy79 Member

ok. ill will check it out today and yep still has the stock quad on it.

6. stunter2boy79

stunter2boy79 Member

Well got a new filter installed old one was dirty. Put the seafoam in the tank and a lil in the carb. Now she ran fine for a couple mins then stalled on me and wouldn't start up for about 5 mins. Got it running again and its idleing rough. Haven't put more gas in yet. Don't wanna drive far and not get it going again. What's next?

7. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

The seafoam will knock a lot of crud loose because it's a helluva good solvent and absorbs any water, so that's a good thing. Having the new filter will catch any crud that comes from the tank, but there's also a little brass filter inside the inlet to the Q-Jet that you can clean out. If you pumped a bad batch of fuel, it would have started running bad long before you finished plowing and headed home so I'm thinking you got good fuel, but also got water in the system that froze up after it had time to cool down. I know seafoam will absorb liquid water, but I don't know if it will dissolve a block of ice. I'd say drive to a reputable fuel station like BP and get some fresh fuel. The new fuel should be warm enough to melt any ice blocks.

Gas line anti-freeze works because it is strongly hydrophilic and absorbs the water into suspension and carries it through the system without freezing. Methanol (HEET) or isopropyl (Iso-HEET) will dissolve ice blocks. You won't hurt anything to drop a bottle of HEET in with the seafoam.

8. stunter2boy79

stunter2boy79 Member

i used seafoam before for both my blazers and it help alot. how can i go about finding the filter in the quad? i was at the part store and was looking at the heet and antifreeze. so go ahead and get both and add them to the tank, how often to add and how can i prevent the water in the system? how much gas should i keep in the tank. it does have a leak though that i found out last time i filled up.

9. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Just unscrew the fuel inlet on the carb and you'll find the brass filter. It can be cleaned and reinstalled. Try the HEET and fresh fuel first. You don't need Iso-HEET, just regular HEET. You shouldn't need to use it if you get good dry fuel so don't make a habit of using it "just because". The best way to keep water out is to not refuel in the rain and only buy fuel from reputable stations. Many stations have water-catching filters installed on their pumps, but it's not used on all of them. Ask your favorite gas station if they use them. Keep the tank full as much as possible. If you have a leak, get it fixed ASAP!

10. stunter2boy79

stunter2boy79 Member

ok goin do this lil later. when i put the heet in and new gas how long u think before she smooths out again?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Could take a while. Sometimes a few tankfuls before it's back to its normal self. If it's especially bad a carb disassembly and clean out are sometimes in order as well. Takes a fair amount to plug up a Q-Jet but there's some really substandard fuel being pumped out there these days too.

12. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Some Q-jets have a paper filter instead of a brass one.

Wayne

13. stunter2boy79

stunter2boy79 Member

i have the paper filter. well guys i got it going about 98% right. used the sea foam heet new gas and some carb cleaner. the carb cleaner help out tons. alot of carbon build up in the carb. still a lil off but sure some more cleaner will help it. think in the summer im gonna take a shot on rebuilding it. but i would like to thank everyone in helping me so quickly on the problem.

14. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Q-jets are pretty easy to rebuild. I've rebuilt quite a few. Just make sure the throttle plate shaft bushings are still good, that the top plate is not warped, and that the well plugs don't leak.

I have a Edelbrock Q-jet replacement carb which I bought years ago which is on my 1970 Monte Carlo. Its the best carb that I've had on the car to date. Unfortunately Edelbrock quit making them some years back and they are expensive if you can find one.

Wayne