1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BLkDOuT, Sep 25, 2009.

1. BLkDOuT

BLkDOuT Junior Member

Ok so im looking to trade my 08 hemi in for this truck and wanted to get your guys opinions. And do you think it would have any issues plowing with the 4" lift and 37's? i have a western 8 1/2' pro plow and a western 1000 salter.

2. BLkDOuT

BLkDOuT Junior Member

http://www.granitepeaksmotorco.com/VD.html?VID={E0B7647F-40C6-504F-A796-0D0514D4071B}#AM_Features

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

those tires are going to have alot of stress on your trans. seems like a really nice play truck but not the best work truckxysport

4. BLkDOuT

BLkDOuT Junior Member

Im just woundering about the height of the truck vs the plow

5. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

I agree with sno, those tires mixed with an auto tranny on a dodge would worry me a little. If the price is right could always put it back to stock and sale the lift kit and make money on the deal?

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Not sure, but those lift kits were not designed for weight, but more show. Nice truck though. Myself, I would bring the height back down to stock, and ditch the 22" Rims. You can sell them pretty easy.

7. stillen

stillen Senior Member

nice rig..... but ditto on what everyone else is saying...... nice show rig, bad work rig, unless you bring her back down to stock...

8. BLkDOuT

BLkDOuT Junior Member

So do you think the only thing i should be worried about is the transmission? Cause if i buy this truck im gonna buy a built ats transmission for it. Because i tow all summer as well. Ususaly 6000ib +. Thats another reason i want to get a diesel.

9. BLkDOuT

BLkDOuT Junior Member

And what if i had a custom mount fabbed up to make the plow sit at stock height

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can do what ever you want, our opinion does not change a thing. You obviously wanted agreement not what you received which was experienced people pointing out the downfalls. It's your money waste uh spend it anyway you want.

11. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

The height isn't the problem...It's the weight. Those lift kits are not designed for weight and abuse that a plow brings into the picture.

12. sno commander

from ct

what goes it have for gears?

13. BLkDOuT

BLkDOuT Junior Member

what? re-type that

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What rears are in it? What is the weight load rating on your wheels and tires.

15. BLkDOuT

BLkDOuT Junior Member

That is a good question. Im not sure, I would assume stock gears. And it has 37x13.50-22 Toyo Open Country M/T Tires on it and KMC XD Hoss 22" Rims. I couldnt find any weight ratings on either, Maybe someone knows the place to look.

16. sno commander

from ct

those trucks came with 3.73 or 4.10's might have to use the vin # or if you have the sticker

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Those rims and tires with stock gearing are going to be way down on power compared to stock rim tire combo. If the rims didn't come with weight load info, it should be molded in the tire side wall.

I was told (never have done the research) that when I changed my 01 dodges 245s for 265s I effective turned my 4:10s into 3:93s that would mean you really raise your ratios when you go that large on a tire/wheel combo.

It's a nice looking truck but those tires are next to worthless for plowing snow. You will need to consider at least a 8'6" plow.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=63106&highlight=lift

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There's two major problems with this truck if you plan to use it for plowing and towing. The lift & the tires/wheels. That truck was original equiped with 265/70/17 tires. That's about a 31.5. The 37s are 17.5% taller. That makes even 4.10 gears feel like 3.38. 3.73 gears are going to feel like 3.08. The cummins can make up for that just dubbin around empty, but put a 6000 lb trailer on the back and I think you are going to know it.

The 4 inch lift, combined with the taller tires, puts your frame about 7 inches higher than factory. You will need some serious mods to make your plow sit level. And as previously mentioned, the lift kit is probably not up to the stress of plowing, or the extra weight of the plow and sander. And like basher said, those tires will be crap in the snow.

If you really like the truck, and the deal is fantastic, buy it. You should at least put some decent 33 inch tires on. There are guys that run lifted trucks and larger tires, so it can be done. But they have excellent fab skills and significant experience to modify the plow support.

I don't know much about Dodges, but I'm a little surprised that front axle is only rated for 5,200 lbs. That's less than a 1,000 more than my "old" ext cab GM w/350. Isn't most of the 1,000 lbs eaten up by the cummins? Seems a little light for a crew cab diesel. Curious what the curb weight is on the front axle.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

My reg cab 5.7 hemi long bed tare weights at 6025 with the a full tank of fuel, the normal cab stuff, me and the dog in the cab. I had a the same drivetrain truck in the shop in a mega cab it had a tare of 7145, plus this truck has a diesel. That's a pleasure truck not a work truck.

20. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

My opinion, keep looking. If you want a tire burner and a show truck, then get it. Thats what it seems its built up for. A stock Ram with a Cummins would be much better seeing that you want to plow. 22's, a 4 inch lift and a bunch of other crap is useless for work.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009