1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ChicagoPlower, Jan 19, 2009.

1. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

I have 80 driveways in a subdivision that are all approximately straight 50' x 20'. One truck with a shoveler is currently plowing the driveways in around 5-6 hours. All of the driveways are within a mile radius. I'm throwing around the idea with my brother about doing all the driveways with snowblowers next year cutting out the hastle we're having with the lack of room to push snow and obstacles. Every home has a mailbox along the mouth of the driveway, about 80% have sprinkler heads close to the driveway and many have plantings somewhere near the push area. My thought is to have our back-up truck used as a transport vehicle for the blowers, and guys, and also plow ten long driveways we have in the same subdivision.
    I've never used a snowblower for driveways before. How clean to the pavement do the top of the line machines get in wet snow? Roughly how fast do you think a 32" wide blower finish a 50' x 20' driveway?
    Any feedback would be great-

2. I have a crew using a snowblower for like 30 properties and let me tell you it takes them a long time.... You won't be doing 80 driveways in 5-6 hours I can promise you that...

IMGP0376 (Medium).JPG

3. ChicagoPlower

I was thinking about having two crews in there each doing about 40 driveways. The truck longest walk they have is four or five houses.

4. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

We tried that once with a condo complex 74 drives and a street which is a big loop(no place to stack snow). We rented a bobcat it isnt much faster but may be with the snow blower the snow placement will b eaiser. My buddy swears by his toro he never has trouble at all.

5. ChicagoPlower

By the way, what kind of snowblower is that in the picture?

6. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

how about a skid with a blower?

7. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

If you plan on blowing the snow, do yourself a favor and get a loader with a 5 ft blower attachment.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

BINGO! Nice job getting a lot of jobs so close together! Sounds like a tractor of some sort, with a blower on it, is the way to go! Leave everything else at home!

9. ChicagoPlower

I've been thinking about that too. My only concern is turning on the driveways and leaving tracks. When we use ours for landscaping, I always lay plywood to be safe. Below freezing temps and some snow under the tires might help.

10. Krimick77

Krimick77 Member

I agree. Get a small loader with a 5 or 6 foot blower on the rear. Send 1 or 2 guys around in a truck to shovel walks and in front of garages and have 1 guy on the tractor. I have a B series Kubota with a blower and it's definetly the way to go if space is limited.

11. Its in my signature bud. 28" Troy-Built. Its on it's second season now and still starts up on first pull after a long summer sleep.

I agree with the rest, look into a small tractor with a blower attachment since all the driveways are so close.

My father has one of these:
    http://www.kubota.ca/index.cfm?app=...&product_catID=1&CFID=888658&CFTOKEN=31601747

[​IMG]

12. ChicagoPlower

Krimick-Are you backing into each driveway with the blower being mounted on the rear?

13. ChicagoPlower

Forget my last question. I just checked out a video of the Kubota in action, just turn the seat around. I think that means it's time to take the dog for a walk and hit the sack.

14. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

you'll also save te headache of looking for more guys once they leave after freezing there asses off the first storm.

15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

best set up i ever saw... basicly a homeaid looking pull plow on a bobcat... 8 feet wide... the operator simply pulled in to the driveway , and put the blade down... 3 passes the drive was cleared even looked like the wings cut throw the snow like a blower...clean lines

the a second on stacked it up infront of th street... each drive took no more than 2 minsvery little shoveling to be done

16. Kunker

Kunker Member

Take a look at Neige and his setup with the inverted blower...back into the drive, lower the blower, drive away and you're done. That's the route I'd be looking at for such a dense area.

17. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Nothing beats a tractor 4 wheel drive with loader and blower for residential. Hand snow blowers for sidewalk during heavy snowfalls. Pay your hand shovellor or hand snowblower guy just as much as a qualified tractor operator (if they are doing the job A 1) thats the only way youll get em to stay. Otherwise there always looking/wishing to be the higher paid guy on the machine in the warm cab etc etc.

18. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Definitely a skid with snow blower if they are all close and then maybe one guy behind with a blower doing walks and in front of garage doors where the skid cant reach.

Skid rental a month for the winter would be maybe 1000ish maybe more but most places rent cheap in the winter.

Some places also have the blower attachment to rent (your local dealer will have demo or rental models).

Tractors are nice but skids are just preferable to me.
    You can also carry the skid bucket in the back of your pickup as weight and it will be available if needed.

Another very interesting option ................... [​IMG]

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

They get done a little quicker if that guy leaning on the shovel actually uses it. LOL

20. lol Cet too funny. That guy is a part timer. He is a heavy machine operator for Miller Construction. He tries to get his "Union rates" out of me ($35 per hour) but I tell him all those union workers are lazy... The photo is proof.... LOL