1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by '01_1500, May 12, 2008.

1. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

I'm pretty new here so forgive me if this is in the wrong spot.

A little background on this deal: I'm selling my Camaro for a new truck, preferably with a plow and I got this offer for trade.

A guy wants to trade a 2002 Chev. 2500HD extended cab with an 8" Western straight blade on it for my car and some cash. The truck looks to be spotless and has the LT package with all available options. My only worry is that the truck has 140k miles on it. He said the plow was put on mid-season 2 winters ago and used to plow a few lots as a sub. This last season the plow wasn't used at all. His overall selling price is about $14,000 which seems a little high to me. Would plowing with it for that amount of time be that hard on the truck? Overall what do you think of that deal? I have included a picture of the truck without the plow on it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

A little background on this deal: I'm selling my Camaro for a new truck, preferably with a plow and I got this offer for trade.

A guy wants to trade a 2002 Chev. 2500HD extended cab with an 8" Western straight blade on it for my car and some cash. The truck looks to be spotless and has the LT package with all available options. My only worry is that the truck has 140k miles on it. He said the plow was put on mid-season 2 winters ago and used to plow a few lots as a sub. This last season the plow wasn't used at all. His overall selling price is about $14,000 which seems a little high to me. Would plowing with it for that amount of time be that hard on the truck? Overall what do you think of that deal? I have included a picture of the truck without the plow on it.
    [/QUOTE]

Welcome to plowsite. I personally wouldn't buy it. The miles are high. It all depends on how hard he was on it. I would take your car to a dealer ship, trade it in. Dealer ships are giving trucks away now. You could probably find a real good deal. Some member on here just got a hell of a deal on an 08. Do your research, you will find something. Good luck

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well first, we have to know about the Camaro. Year, Z28,SS, RS, V6 V8 etc? Second 140K is not that bad on that truck. Mine has 114K on a 2000 2500 with the 6.0 and not a lick of a problem. I paid 10k, at 85k miles, with the plow, reg cab, LS and in great shape, no rust. I am the 2nd owner. Personally, 12-14k range for a truck in that nice of shape and with a plow does not seem bed at all, especially since it is an LT ext cab. Take it to your mechanic and have him go thru it, road test it, etc. Good luck!!!

4. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i duno 140k on a gaser is kinda a lot seein it had a plow on it...just b.c he said he didnt use it last season doesnt mean anything unless they got NO snow...people will say whatever to get rid of stuff i think ud be better off selling the car and using part as a down payment on a newer truck and using part to buy a new plow...just what i think...good luck and welcome

5. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

My car is a 1999 Z28, 120k on it and the tranny was freshly rebuilt. Seems the market value for it around here is about $9k. The truck I have now is an '01 that my father bought new in 2001 but it has 180k on it and is starting to "nickel and dime" me to death. It runs well and so far the tranny is holding up but all the small stuff keeps breaking so I need a more reliable pick-up. I'm a college student and would like to have something I can trust until I graduate and get in a better financial situation and buy a new truck. I would need this to last about 5 years or so. I don't drive that much and I would plow for a friend's buisness to make some extra money which is why I would like the plow.

As for plowing last season I know I have no way to know for sure. I plan on going over everything carefully and deciding from there. How hard is plowing on a truck really? I know it is harder than just normal driving but I've never personally owned a plow truck.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I would never buy a truck thats had a plow unless its a really good deal. Too many nutjobs out there who beat the crap out of them.

7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly...unless you know him personally I would find a truck without a plow! I personally would not want to own anything that I have plowed with for a few years after were done with it!

8. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

I would never buy a truck that had been used to plow for an extended period but if it could be verified that it was only used to plow one season by a guy who subed for extra cash would you guys still pass?

As I understand it the truck was bought to tow and the plow was more of an after thought. Again I know that there's really no way to know this for sure.

9. Indy

Indy Senior Member

That is a true statement!!!

If you really want THAT truck, have someone check it, the tranny, brakes,....... just to see what it looks like. But I think ABES is on it here, some guys drive trucks like they are disposable derby cars.

Also the price seems a little high just on a regular deal. Check on here and e-bay to see what the true price could be

Look under equipment for sale here and you may find a better, easier deal.

Good luck:salute:

10. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Its a clean Truck, but the price seems high to me.

11. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

What would you all spend on this truck if you were going to pick it up? Thanks for the help so far?

12. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

id pay 10k for it. but only if it was checked out and passes my mechanics inspection.

13. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

10k was what popped into my mind too, but different areas are always different prices

14. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

I did some searching in the local classifieds and it seems like trucks like that are going for about $12,500. The closest I could find all had slightly lower mileage though and none came with plows. Would being a plow truck cancel out the added value that you get by including the plow or even make it worth less? It seems that all the trucks I've seen for sale with plows are priced lower than a similar turck in the same condition but I really haven't seen enough to get a good idea.

Also, in my above post the ? at the end of "thanks for the help" was a typo. Sorry.

15. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

well the plow can either raise or lower the value.

it can raise it by being a brand new plow on a newer truck. or even a brand new plow on an old truck. but it can reduce the price b/c usually vehicals that have been used for plowing are more beat up than a vehical that was never plowed with.

16. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

If your not mechanically inclines then get a mechanic to check the truck out. Frame cracks in the front end, over spray from paint cover up, leaks. 130k on the engine is not necessarily a bad thing. Check for the typical leaks, voltage on the coolant. The trans I might be concerned about. If the trans is good now simply budget for a rebuild in 12k.

17. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

well i think it is a little high, in december i just bought an 03 gmc 2500hd ext cab slt w/ snow prep and all the options..never been plowed and had 125,000 and i only paid 11,000 and its been very reliable so far

18. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i was trolling 01_1500,.......uh i mean just doin some reading and this thread poped up ;) lol,......i noticed 01 was lookingfor work and didnt have a truck....so i thought i'd throw my $.02 in haha

well there's some good advice :rolleyes:
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

i don't know why you guys are buying these high milage truck's

every year or so we swap trucks around...not 'cause there worn, but because i like keeping a fresh bloodline

2005 chev 1500 with 7'6" new Meyer, 22,000miles second year plow truck $10,500

2002 dodge 2500 CTD with 9k in motor mod's incl TWIN TURBO's with 23,000 miles, with 8' western pro. my personal truck $22,500

2001 Chev 3500hd Duramax C/C with $5k besler haybed and ranchand bumper, ~100k , W/ new Diamond 8'6" First year plowing $12,500

98' Chev Z-71 45,000miles Super Sharp plowed one year with new meyer 7'6", $6500 (shot my mouth off while i was drunk,lol....but a deal is a deal. inhebriated or not lol)

2007 Chev 2500HD Plow prep (no plow) reg cab auto etc.....oh and 3200 miles that's right 3200 miles....it just rode too damn rough for me so it was sold for $16000

i have a truck that belong's to the farm that will be getting phased out later this season. its a 2000-2001 Chev 1/2ton 4X4 auto only used on the Farm NEVER plowed with and it'll sell for about $3500-4500

if youre willing to spend $14 i have a 2006 chev 4x4 auto etc. that i havent even got to hang the plow on yet i'll probably let go for that....and it has less than 20k

....just food for thought

PJ

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  19. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If at all possible, I'd recommend taking Powerjoke (Rick) up on one of those. Even considering the plane ticket to go to KC and pick it up. I know Rick and have seen his equipment. Much better than a truck with 140,000 miles and a plow on it for several years. I can attest that a slick exterior can hide a lot of flaws.

20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would second going to powerjokes and getting one of his trucks. Well worth the travel time.