1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do you think

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jce4isu, Nov 13, 2005.

1. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

i got a craftsman 14hp mower and blade for $200.00 do you guys think it would have enough power to push snow

2. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I don't know what an extra 2 HP will do, but I have a 12HP Husky that will barely pull itself up a hill and spin the blades some days. I can't imagine puting a plow on it!

3. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Too wimpy, gonna just spin the wheels! :cry:

4. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Our John Deere 165 hydro had a 48 in custom made hydraulic plow on it for 10 years, plowed snow like no buddy's business. Put a plow on the John Deere 445, (custom built, 4 way, 100times better than what JD offered) and that was even better (til I sold it last year cause we stopped using it when I got my plowpayup )
    Thanks
    James

5. danno

danno Senior Member

I had a Craftsman 12 HP that I had a blade. That did a great job of pushing snow. I did it for 12 winters here in CT. As long as you have the chains and weights. I also sat on a 25lb plate covered, on the seat.

The only thing was, it was COLD, and heavy wet snow was sometimes a problem. Up to 5-6 inches of regular snow was no problem.

I even had a slope at the end of the driveway and it went back up with no problem.

Another trick I did, was buy another blade. Cut it in half, and put the pieces to each side, and put 2 bolts on each side. I then had an 8 FOOT plow. But, I could only push 2-3 inches of snow when that was added.

If you don`t mind the cold, go for it !

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Considering that you put this in the Commercial Snow Removal section - No.

If it's for your own driveway and you take it easy and not try to push ever 3" or so and don't try plowing uphill, then you'd probably be ok.

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

What Mick said. :nod: If your going to do it to make $$$ I would say no. My buds dad has something simmilar and I have jacked with it on his drive and with wheel weights and chains it does ok for personal use though.