1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do you think????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cookie, Feb 25, 2005.

1. cookie

cookie Member

I am in need for a new truck here shortly, I plowed for my father's company, but now I am starting on my own for next season. I wold love to spend 60 grand on a new truck but that is not possible. Boyce Equipment sells refurbished CUCV's - military k3500 (80's style), the have a 6.2 diesel engine, 1 tonne running gear - kick @ss work trucks. Would you base a :drinkup: plowing/lanscaping company starting out?? Plus no one would steal the truck cause they are so ugly!!!
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

What do you mean 'ugly'????

I like my trucks, thank you very much.

If the price is right they are a super bang for the buck. Very sturdy compared to anything 1988 and up. Easy to work on, parts are cheap and common... what else could you want from a work truck?
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Hello there fellow Bluenoser:

The 6.2 is not a good engine but if you plan to survive for a year-a year and a half and then trade, then go for it. When we first start out we must do what we must do and build from there. Success is often spelled WORK. Work hard and you shall overcome.
  4. derekbroerse

I suspect you'd get quite an arguement from some people. They are prone to head cracking. There seem to be good ones that run for hundreds of thousands of miles, and bad ones that are nothing but trouble. Its a roll of the dice. However, it is good to note that the newer 6.5 non-turbo engine (common and reasonably cheap to buy NOS ones on ebay) are a direct bolt in.

While a 6.2 is certainly not my diesel of choice, there are a lot of them running around still even 20 years later, so they can't be that bad. I was told they get excellent fuel mileage too. I've never owned one though. If I did, and it failed, I would swap it to a Cummins and never look back.
  5. cookie

cookie Member

I have actually blown up 2 6.2 diesels already - I took the botom end out of one, and tool the top out of another. I am not a big fan of the 6.2, an a cummins would be a good swap (I have also blown one of them up too!), I guess the question I should of asked is would potentional customers be biased in a bad way to someone with an older truck?
  6. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Nope just make the truck look nice, make it look like you take car of it, and keep it up.
  7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Now lets come down to planet earth , I would love to have the new international pick up truck that cost $ 120,000 to drive around in and plow snow. But guess what , it isnt going to push any more now than the IH that I have today . I have been out there fir 25 years , pretty trucks make no more than ugly trucks. You are paid to get the job done , not to look pretty doing it .
  8. derekbroerse

I run my '82 exclusively. Everyone comments on what a nice, well kept truck it is and how they just don't build them like that anymore. When multiple people (not just contractors) compliment you on your nice work truck, I feel I must be doing something right.

I would say there is more to be said about condition and care than the body style. If some yuppy tells you he's replacing you with another contractor because your truck is square instead of round, you probably don't want them anyways.