1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do you think?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Michigans # 1, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Michigans # 1

Michigans # 1 Junior Member

I purchased the biggest snow removal add in the phone book this year. It is distributed to 700,000 locations. how many calls you think I will get this winter for commercial lots who want to dump their current provider, and also how many residential calls? The average snowfall in our area is about 100"
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Time will tell. I would be curious to see if a bigger ad generates more calls.
  3. Michigans # 1

Michigans # 1 Junior Member

I will let you know Brian. I have had pretty good luck with large adds for my lawn care company. A ton of competition in the area but not to many in the book. Advertising is expensive I hope it pays off.
  4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe you should ask MICHPLOWER... :nod:
  5. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

You will be lucky if you get 10 calls. How many have you got so far?
  6. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

where are you located at in mid michigan?
  7. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

You again.....Whats the name of your company so i can keep a look out for your ad....:dizzy:
  8. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Few people use the phone book anymore. I'm sure you got some online advertising as part of your gig, but online advertising is where it's at. Invest in your website and search engine optimization.
  9. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I tried the phone book a few years ago. I received less than 10 calls in a year. I don't even have a phone book in my house anymore. INTERNET BABY!!
  10. procut

procut Senior Member

I would bet 1 or 2 for commercial if your lucky. Maybe a dozen or so residential, who will mostly call during the middle of a storm. Phone book advertising is useless IMO.
  11. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

My thoughts exactly, I just didn't want to sound like the pesimest.

My accountant warned me years ago about the yellow pages. Not only about advertising return, but warned that your local goeverning body uses it to collect personal property taxes, which was enough for me to sway away from it.
  12. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

While no one can say for sure, my experience with the big book is not good, so I say if you get one or two, you'll be lucky.
  13. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i think craigslist were all the dead beats go. you will have better luck over there but thats not saying to much.
  14. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Have to agree with both of these. I can't remember the last time I dusted off a phonebook for anything. Internet is the first place I go to look up a number or info on just about everything. And some of the ads for services or wanted ads on Craigslist will make you question if your still on the correct planet...

The only advertising method I have found that i really can believe in is REFERRALS. Hard to get without some experience, but it just takes baby steps and really pays off in the end. Do quality work at a fair price and take care of your customers and word travels quickly and exponentially. This time last year i was wondering how I was going to get enough work to survive, this year I am wondering how I am going to survive getting the work done.payup
  15. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Not to be the monkey wrench, but we own a commercial flooring company. We advertise in the phone book as we do many other places. On several occasions we have gotten calls from commercial companies, ONLY from the phone book, ONLY looking for a commercial flooring company. If you did your add correctly, you will get the right call, not many, but it only takes 1 to pay for the advertisement.

Unless it cost a gagillian dollars, then it will never pay you back :dizzy:
  16. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

how much did it cost mister michigans #1 plower? I really want to spent my china dollar right but dont no really.
  17. banonea

banonea PlowSite Fanatic

The best luck I have had is with the local shopper papers. low cost advertising and in my area it reaches over 500,000. as far as the phone books goes, it sucks in this area. been in construction for over 12 years and only use the buyer's guide......
  18. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

So whats the number at so far!?
  19. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

they still make the phone book???
  20. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

My thoughts exactly! My Website was the best investment yet!