1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do you think you would do ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ultimateinc, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

ok got a big contract on some county work and debating on if it would be more effective to buy a loader for snow removel or buy another truck with a plow

pros.. for loader could keep it right at some lots and move alot more snow

cons.. could use truck for landscaping in the summer and so on. theres alot more pros and cons but what do you guys think would be most efficient? or best return on investment? thanks
  2. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

what are you going to be plowing? lots, roads etc.?
  3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

looks like you have enough trucks for summer work? no license, no liabilty insurance, maybe no insurance to save money..probably less wear and tear than a snow truck, no drivers license needed to operate if that matters
  4. ultimateinc

i would be plowing very big parking lots & some hospitals. xtreem you make a good point if i had a oparator for the loader without a dl it wouldnt really matter. i was also thinking loader would be less wear & tear than running another truck
  5. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I would be concerned about WHY someone didn't have a DL before I let them run my loader!

Sounds like business is growing and if you can work a loader to its potential I would get a loader.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ummm, yeah. What he said.

Still haven't figured this concept out yet. Let me see if I get this.

Hot dang, I have a loader so I don't need insurance (might want to do some checking first) and my 'operator' doesn't need an operator's license. (also debatable, since you're in MI, you might want to check with the MI Truck Safety Center, Ron Edwards will tell you that operator needs a CDL) so I am going to put someone who can't obey the laws of MI to maintain the privilege of driving in a 20K loader plowing hospitals--can you say litigious--and large parking lots. This guy might have speeding tickets, reckless driving, DUI, OUIL, OWI and you're going to say "Have at it Bubba, don't kill anybody or run a car over since you can't even follow some easy laws to keep your OL".

Anybody ever check with their insurance company with regards to having an unlicensed operator running a piece of equipment?

Maybe I'm just paranoid or stupid, but this logic just isn't logical to me.
  7. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

lol, hey Mark, in alberta a 13 year old hutterite kid can drive tractors on public roads, lmao, as if that isn't a accident waiting to happen. then again the colonies can afford new equipment.
  8. Mark Oomkes

I'd rather have a 13 YO farm kid running a tractor than a drunk who can't keep a driver's license.
  9. buckwheat_la

LMAO, kid would probably do a better job and be happy with $8.5/hour, too
    damn farm kids can work
  10. ultimateinc

should have know everyone was gonna throw there 2 cents in after that. it was a simple question. never said its the right thing to do. of course i wouldnt let some one who cant obay simple driving rules run a $30,000 loader i was asking if it would be better to buy a $30,000 loader or a$ 20,000 truck to move snow, wasnt asking for stupid remarks. i found it funny talking about dui's ouil and other alcohol related offences coming from someone with a sig saying spilled beer = more overhead
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  11. buckwheat_la

nobody was poking fun at you, i think Mark was just making a blanket statement, but for my two cents on a serious note, what are the chances of doing other work with the loader, if you don't have summer work for it, go with the truck
  12. ultimateinc

thanks thats my thoughts just thinking a truck would be more versitile all season long.but then i think a loader could move a hell of alot of snow in a short time peroid.
  13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Mark was giving you VALID points. If you can't take the truth then I would ask for help and opinions somewhere else.
    And if you read alot of other posts theres always a LOT of joking going on with good advice in there too.
    Damn dude...lighten up.
    back to the original post....buy a loader.
  14. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

id get the loader you can always rent it out in the spring and summer months a renting place charges $100 pick up then $35-85 an hour depending on what you get

or do some custom work for people

and the loader holds its value longer than a plow truck

just throwing that out there
  15. JFreak

JFreak Junior Member

Calm down Killer!
  16. JFreak

JFreak Junior Member

There are opinions and there is treating people like there stupid. Mark had no right to jump down his throat like that. Mark could of said hey man you need to think if a 20-30 year old man doesn't have a license you need to ask yourself why. Humility folks!!! I'm from Chicago and you don't need certification to drive a skid steer or a loader as far as I know.
  17. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Here in Ontario you only need to be eligible for a drivers license meaning 16 years old and over and not under suspension. Lots of ways to loose your license here. DUI, racing, not paying child support, unpaid fines, etc...
  18. Mark Oomkes

Says the newbie. :laughing:

See bold, italicized comment.

PS Go troll someone else, you can't outtroll a troll.
  19. buckwheat_la

this should be entertaining

its good to see i am not the only one that isn't getting along with others
  20. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

What do you think you would do?
    I would close the thread to stop another whizzing match :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.