1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think of this truck? (New guy)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nkayser, Oct 12, 2007.

1. nkayser

nkayser Junior Member

Ok so i have been toying with the idea of getting a cheap plow truck for the last couple years. I live in Michigan where we get a good amount of snow. My parents also own 30 acres in the upper lower peninsula where we get a crapload of snow.

But where I live I would just do my drive and a couple elderly neighbors yards. I was talking about it at work and my boss said that if I did get a truck he would pay me a couple bucks to do the company lot. Not as much as the plow guy but not getting stiffed either :)

But I was looking on Craigslist (wow I love that site, so much money spent there :) And i found a 1986 dodge 1/2 ton with a 7.5 foot meyer plow.

I thought wow thats gotta be stolen or a big piece of crap. So i went to look at it today. It was at a car dealer. They have had it for 10 years and only used it to plow their lot with.

heres the specs-
    85 dodge half ton
    100 thousand miles
    runs and drives good
    Brand new tires

bad-
    rusty under the doors (rocker area)
    rusty around wheel wells (probably 1 inch around)
    no tailgate

the plow is all there and seems to work good. all hydraulics function and the lights work. The plow needs some paint. It has a couple dents in the middle of the plow about the size of a quarter. maybe 5 total.

these little dents wouldnt hurt the performance of the plow would it?

the guy wants $500 for the truck, but said he would come down to $400 or $350
    It seems like a pretty good deal. I mean how often do you find a truck for 400 bucks that has a good working plow? I figure if it runs drives and plows then i would get my moneys worth. any bad things about the mid eighties dodge half tons?

Thanks for all the help guys. I know its kind of a long post, but I appreciate it.

Nick

p.s. I work at a tire shop, and the brand new tires on the truck are worth $300

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Take $350 in cash to the dealer and pick it up.

A trucks worth is what you think. Will you be able to get $350 out of it before it takes a crap and dies?

Just be ready for a few small things right off the bat.

Battery maybe. Maybe plugs and a cap n rotor. Maybe wires. Fuel filter oil filter and change the oil soon as you are in your own drive.

Do not let your boss make to cheap of a deal with you and remember you will be taking another's job and if the owner pays you less for it bringing down the cost in his mind for what it is really worth to plow.

If he pays you say $100 bucks each time you do it in 4 snow falls you will have made your money back less fuel and wear. If you are plowing the lot and happen to hit a parked car or something strange happens who is going to cover the cost? You or your Boss?

To me it would be worth it only if it saved me from hand shoveling a driveway of my own but that is me and others may feel differently.

Remember when he pays you however much you are still using your gas and plow wearing out the cutting edge which cost money to replace.

3. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

Do it! You could part it out and make money if it takes a dump on ya.

4. nkayser

nkayser Junior Member

yeah I would do a full tune up on it befor eI used it. I work at a shop so i get parts really cheap.

thanks for the heads up about my boss.

When we close for the night, we put all the cars inside the shop, or right infront of the shop doors, so the lot is COMPLETELY empty.

Thanks for the advice

Nick

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Are you plowing this lot as his employee or as the new plow guy?
    Not rain on your parade but get your umbrella out.
    hear comes the tough love;)

IF you plow this lot as the next plow guy you will need commercial vehicle insurance as your comp INS will not cover you while plowing.

When you hit a car or whatever who is going to pay for it?
    Hint,,,,, it will NOT be your boss paying for it and he could become your ex boss real quick over this..
    what if a customer slips and falls and sues who pays for the lawyer?

Next the old folks,it sounds like a nice thing to.
    but again what if they get hurt or you hit the house or garage?
    You back into the street and get hit.
    Once again unless you have commercial liability ins you are not covered.

By taking this job for a few bucks you have just become
    a low life low-baller.

I know all you wanted is to have some fun plowing but the reality is if you plow anywhere other than your own property you need the proper INS OR keep the plow in the air or at home.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

RE-Read Sno Farmers post again. And then read it once more. He is absolutely correct.

7. nkayser

nkayser Junior Member

I understand. I am not gonna be plowing my bosses lot. Im just saying he offered for me to do it. I dont want to. I bet you guys get a lot of new "friends" every winter with plows on your trucks :)

Just curious about how much is commercial liability insurance? Just wondering cause theres a local company here looking for sub contractors. Do you need commercial liability insurance when you are a sub or are you covered under their insurance?

Ive just been reading a lot here and was wondering about those questions.

Not saying I would be doing it with this truck, but just wondering.

thanks
    Nick

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Hey, buy the truck. You can practice plowing your friends lots this winter and get you feet white with snow. If the truck blows up you still can make $$$. For the truck is worth 300.00 in scrap and you can still sell of the tires to your boss. Plus the plow.

DAFF

9. nkayser

nkayser Junior Member

ok thanks. I have no intentions of doing anything commercially with it. I just wanna do my drive along with my upnorth property too.

question- I have read a lot about subcontractors. do they have to be insured? or are they under the contractors insurance?

thanks for the help. this is a great site. I have been reading and readong some more here.

Nick

10. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

thats a good deal go for it I wish i could find a deal like that at our car lots around here.