1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think of the old cable controlled plows?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by RYDER, Dec 12, 2006.

1. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

What do you think of the older western cable controlled plows? The reason I am asking is I just bought me 17 year-old son a 79 Blazer with a cable controlled western 7' 6" plow on it. The truck is in great shape. And the plow works good but needs new cutting edge.:redbounce :yow!:
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

I had one for about 10 years (same unit) and never had a problem with the cable controls. Had to replace the motor once, but thats it.
  3. Trueduelz

Trueduelz Junior Member

I have a cable plow ive used for years. Never had any serious problems with it. In my opinion they are sturdy units. My buddies solinoid plows always seem to have problems with wiring or this or that. Good luck with it.
  4. dieselpusher

dieselpusher Senior Member

i have a 7'6" on my 89 bronco. i havnt gotten to use it in the snow yet but mechanically its a beast. no problems whatso ever just if you ever go to remove the controller from the cap...do yourself a favor and dissconnect it from the plow and not the controller its a PITA to get back together with all springs and whatnot
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Rugged, dependable, durable, getting hard to find parts for. beware of the plastic sheathed cables, look for the steel jacketed ones.
  6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

have one on our 91 ram 2500 i think its a good set up havent had any problems yet (knock on wood)
  7. LD4850

LD4850 Member

This is the second yr on my 94, before that it spent 15 yrs on my 79 and 2 yrs on the 6? that I bought it used on.I'm thinking this plow is 40 some yrs old & still doin' my drive and all the people on my road every year. Oh... and the road too. I used to do some of the neighbors but got away from that.
    What do you want to use it for?
  8. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I started plowing last year and my son wants to plow to and I wanted a back-up truck and plow.
  9. Oxmow

Oxmow Senior Member

I've been using them for over 10 years. Still have a couple for spare parts that i bought from some old Truegreen Landcare trucks. Rugged and dependable.

look at it here on my 96 F-350