1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think of MVP ?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by te snow, Jan 17, 2009.

1. te snow

te snow Member

I have had several problems with my western ultra mount and most are due to my aggressive plowing. This is not an attempted to put down Western but I am considering purchasing a Western 8 1/2 MVP Plus Ultra Mount and would like your input based on experience with the plow or hear say about the unit. Your input is much appreciated.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

most ultramount problems are from aggressive plowing. having worked for a boss dealer and a western dealer, i would buy the boss.

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

As an owner/operator of Boss and Western plows I respectfully disagree. My MVP can out-plow the Bosses any day. The one touch controls make the Western much more efficient to use and you can't beat the trip edge.

Boss makes you pay extra for locking cylinders and they are standard on Western.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

that is the great thing of this site. you get honest feedback from all sides.

5. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

I have two MVP's and love them. I have had Meyer, Boss, Hiniker and Western and by far Western is the best plow I have owned. My oldest MVP is an '04 and I have not had any problems at all. They do go through cutting edges but what plow doesn't. Good and heavy and backdrag great.

6. KLM Service

KLM Service Junior Member

I have two Western Ultra mount MVP plows (06 and 08). One of the quickest to attach if not the quickest. The 06 is on its third season and I did replace the solinoid @the end of last season. Also Western replaced the cutting edge the 1st season without question. I prefer the trip edge to the blade trip. Boss and Western are good plows--- GO WITH SERVICE!!!!!

Kevin

7. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I am really pleased with my mvp. I love the ultra mount system. The new nighthawk headlights are sweet. I like the trip edge, compared to boss' full trip and as mentioned the standard locking cylinders.

8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I love my new MVP Plus. Wouldn't go with a different plow, except maybe a Wideout next time. Backdrags super nice, scrapes clean, and doesn't leave any trail. And it's pretty fast compared to my older one. Oh, and the Ultramount system is pretty dang awesome!

9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We bought 2-9.5 ft Ultramount V's this year and have 4 older Unimount V's also. The new ultramounts are super fast in comparison, clean up beautifully, attach quickly, and backdrag better. We opted for curb guards and backdrag edge from Western, both worth the money IMO. Dont have any exp with BOSS, so cant comment.

10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

The MVP Plus has more built in features than the boss. Nicer controller, trip, locking cylinders, top center catch for snow roll off.

Something that could be improved; better finish, make the 1/2" blade standard, vee must have the rubber snow flap on the top of the plow, the ultra mount is probably the most dangerous thing I've ever used from it being secure on the truck to the head assembly flopping forward when it's un mounted, The cylinder hoses are constantly coming loose and they should have put grease fittings into the main pivot.

All in all a Vee is the way to go. I would check out the sno-way version as well but, double check it's speed and ability to lift the blade with weight on it.

11. te snow

te snow Member

This is all great input and much appreciated.
    Thank You

12. dupupp

dupupp Member

i just bought a used mvp-i beilieve it is a 06 model-does anyone know the weight difference between the mvp and the mvp plus. Western says the mvp plus is at 880 i believe.

i can't wait to plow with this-getting rid o my jeep cj 7 with western unimout 6'6'' and jumping up to my 05 chevy crewcab 6.0 with the 8'6'' mvp!!

13. tojay22

tojay22 Member

i couldnt have said it better myself. i have both and like the mvp plus way more than my boss. as soon as you hit a manhole cover going 35 you will know why the westerns are better.

14. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

i thought westerns were full trip, not trip edge..... but what i've read im getting the assumption there trip edge :confused:

15. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Western is trip edge and it will only give when you actually hit or snag something.

toJay22 .... You actually plow at 35mph???? Are you being chased by someone :dizzy:

16. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

Are you looking to buy a brand new one or would you buy a 2year old one?? We have one for sale.

17. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Wow! I bet that woke you up :dizzy:

18. tojay22

tojay22 Member

19. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

ToJay22: Keep telling yourself that.

20. tojay22

tojay22 Member

notdoog come over to michigan and i will teach you how