1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CAT 245ME, Dec 22, 2010.

1. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Came across this 97 Chevy 2500 Silverado that looks solid from the pics, hard to say what the frame could be like up front from handling the 810. Asking $8,000 with everything,fairly new engine with warranty. The only think I don't like is the push button 4WD. But there is no pics of the 810 Blizzard.

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/2105748880.html

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

To me? 6K total for the whole package.

3. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Dunno; that's a LOT of plow for that truck. If he hasn't beefed up the front end, it needs to be. You'll need to go over that truck very carefully. Even so, his asking price is a good starting point for negotiation.

4. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I love those extended cab short box 2500's in that body style.Honestly think its not worth more than 6 grand myself

5. CAT 245ME

I kinda felt that the plow was a little big for the truck. What does a new 810 sell for these day's? I've only seen one Blizzard plow in my life.

Wasn't looking for another truck but this one caught my eye, comparing the asking price of this truck to similar trucks in the area from 96 to 98 GM 2500 HD's, 6 grand is what trucks like this one are going for, but this doesn't mean you have to pay that.

6. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Blizzards are awesome. I'd guess you'd easily pay over $6K for a new one.

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzards are just over 5 for a new one. Thats about a $3500-$4000 truck. Doesnt matter much if he's invested money rebuilding the drivetrain, that isn't money you can get back. It's still got a lot of miles on it, and it's old. Personally I love those trucks, so I'd tend to value it higher, but just seems too high. Do a comparison search and see what you can get a bunch of other similar trucks for. And from the tone of the ad he thinks that truck is great so he'll never see the light and lower the price.

That being said, I would expect you could spend that money easily buying a similar truck and outfitting it with a plow. That's what I like to do, I always try to buy a truck that's never plowed then put a plow on myself. Just dont want something that someone else has beaten to death, because I know how hard plowing is on a truck. So it would be convenient to buy this truck all set up. It looks nice, it has wicked lights and a plow capable of moving a lot of snow. And maybe the replaced engine and trans will last a long time...3000 mile oil changes with mobil1? Yeah right, thats what everyone says. Whole point of synthetic is to go longer between oil changes.

Lastly, that plow is way too much for that truck. It only has a smallblock in it, so it would have come with fairly light torsion bars. My diesel has the heaviest rated torsion bars available and I sure know when the plows on there. That 350 will push, but it doesnt have the torque of a diesel or big block, so it's working way harder to move it, and it won't move it as far. In fact from what I understand those trucks are much happier with a 7.5 as opposed to an 8' straight, so a 950 lb 8-10 ought to be out of the question. Sure you could freight it down with a lot of ballast and stay on the pavement, but I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope to get many years of service out of it. "only" four seasons of plowing? This is Maine, right? That might be a whole lot of plowing.

8. Detroitdan

As for the price of the truck itself, my buddy just bought a 98 2500 ecsb 4wd 350 160k for $1700. Plain old scratched up worktruck, but essentially the same truck. I see them everywhere for $3000 and less.

9. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

What's wrong with push button 4x4? I love mine.

10. CAT 245ME

Most trucks around here like the one on craigslist are WAY over priced, I looked at a 97 K2500 with a ten year old Fisher V, high milage and the guy wanted $8500 no kidding. A friend of mine sold his 97 K1500 ecsb for $4000, truck had around 275,000 miles.

This truck listed on Kijiji looks alright but as you can see under the front bumper, it has been a plow truck.
    http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-...K-Pickup-2500-Pickup-Truck-W0QQAdIdZ248093814

Right know I'm not seriously looking for a truck, I spent way too much on rebuilding my 85 K20, truck is just to nice to plow with (so I've been told), so it will only be used for emergencies only but would definitely like to find a solid truck so I can run two plow trucks.

11. CAT 245ME

I've been told sometimes they have a tendency to kick out on you at the wrong time,even herd it on TrucksTV & Extreme4x4, plus I'd much rather have the floor shifter.

12. Detroitdan

I'd trust the floor shifter much more than a push button.

13. Schnabel Plowin

Generally, I would think the same. But push button is a shift on-the-go method. If you start to slip, just push it and go. With a floor shifter, you have to stop, put it in park, shift, put in drive then go.

14. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Every floor shifter Ive ever had is shift on the fly. Only reason to put it in park is to shift into 4LO.

15. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

I was always told to put it in neutral to go into 4 lo. Either way the floor shifter is shift on the fly.

16. Detroitdan

No, thats completely wrong. floor shift has been shift on the fly for decades. Maybe your thinking of low range?

Shouldnt wait until you start to slip. Then you risk wrapping up the driveline if you give it some gas and rears are spinning when front engages. Not that electric would engage that fast anyway, but you see what I mean. Maybe I'm old school, but I like the feel of engaging the transfer case myself. Electrical has too many places it can fail. One tiny loose wire or weak ground, and I have no 4wd and can't move.
    My floor shifters always seem to engage faster and more positively than the push button on my wifes SUVs. Course I dont know if my wife would use the 4wd as much if she had to reach way down by the floor and pull a complex lever, when a simple lit up pushbutton close at hand is obviously much simpler.

17. Schnabel Plowin

I guess I was misinformed on that. I would rather have a floor shift then also!

18. Detroitdan

He now has the plow for sale for $2500. I wish I had some money to offer him because mine is just plain worn out, broke it again last night.

19. CAT 245ME

Ya I see he just sold the truck. I was interested in it but not for what he was asking.

I've only seen one Blizzard plow in person, and it was an 810. It is the only expandable plow I've seen around here and I think the fella that owns it doesn't plow very much with it.

20. Detroitdan

they're getting more popular around here, only a couple dealers but one is a big Ford dealer and they push them out in high volume at good prices. The 810 is awesome, at least they used to be before DD bought them out. Incredibly effective plow, does what they say, moves more snow and it's a very heavy duty plow. My problem is it's now 12 years old and has been beaten severely for years. I plow a lot of rough terrain, I've finally just worn everything out. The wings eventually get sloppy and break off, I am now welding the second wing on permanently, so no more expandable plow for me. I just cant afford to replace expensive pistons when the worn out wings let them overextend and break. But up til it was about 10 years old it was unstoppable, very few minor problems. It's just plain worn out now.
    Man I need another one.