1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do you think about this

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by RSK, Jan 23, 2007.

1. RSK

RSK Senior Member

Hi Guys

I was out salting last night and i ran in to this other plow co. I know this guy that works for them they do a walmart and a lot more jobs. the lot is about 60 acre or so we got about 1'' of snow and they put down 35 tons of salt no ice just a dusting of snow.I think this is nuts 35 ton on one lot how much would you run on this ? will walmart pay for this if i got a invoice for 35 tons of salt for one snow i would be finding someone els :eek: :waving:

2. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

60 acres? :eek:

3. RSK

RSK Senior Member

thats right 60 acres

4. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

35 tons?

if hes a el-cheapo, he maybe charges 110 a ton. Nobodys gonna over pay 3600 bucks for a salting.

if they do pay, where do I sign up to bid?

The whole parking lot would have an inch of salt on it..I think hes messing with you

5. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I did a local mall that was close to the size you are talking about. I never used more than 10 ton in a single event and I felt guilty billing them for that much. Anybody that has half a brain understands that you do not need to cover every square inch of this type of property. The car traffic will carry most of the salt off the drive lanes and take care of alot of the parking spaces.35 ton is ridicilous.

6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

WOW a Walmart with a 60 acre parking lot, thats nuts!! I think with a inch of snow you could use 35 tons. I would probably use 24-28 myself.

7. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I think he's pulling your leg. I have had property managers tell me that they wanted me to apply every other hour so they don't have to deal w/ lawsuits at all. I said, "Sure thing!" payup I don't quite understand their logic, but money in my pocket.

8. woodacres

woodacres Junior Member

Pulling Your Leg

I agree with the other guy he is pulling your leg, I have a tandem dually dumptruck that I can haul 14 tons legally as long as the frost laws are not on and there is not a Wall-Mart parking lot around that I cannot salt with leass than 20 tons approx. and that is with a heavy snow.

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I personally don't like it when big lots just get salted instead of plowed. Its hard to push a cart around in 3" of slush.

10. RSK

RSK Senior Member

hi guys
    i was out last night in to today and there was a triaxle dumping the load out and buy the time the other truck back up to dump his load they had all of the first dump loaded up in to there trucks. I was sitting there watching them do this and they put all 30 tons down last night :eek: :dizzy:

11. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

If its for wal-mart then it should be a seasonal contract. There is no way they would pay for it by the ton. I know all the grocery stores and superstores in my area all run seasonal contracts.

12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Around here, they're all time and materials, or at least they were up to 4 years ago.

I had a buddy doing the local one, and he lost it to a guy for 1/2 the rate.

However, not to call the new guy a lowballer, since the guy that was doing it before, let's just say my buddy might have added too many zeros to some of his invoices at times.

I just shook my head when he would tell me, saying, yeah, that's fine, you'll get underbid soon enough......

13. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

they are time and materials here still.

35 tons on 60 acres to melt snow at 1 inch is not bad expecially if you want to go home go to sleap and not think about it for the next storm.