1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do you think about this truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by westernplow88, Dec 29, 2009.

1. westernplow88

westernplow88 Junior Member
    from NJ

I was browsing for a truck and stumbled across an older f250 for a good deal, i think it was a 95, so i know it will fit my plow. now the question is the owner says that its got the 351 which i know is cheap to fix but some kind of rare 3 speed c6 transmission. I dont know much about older fords and was wondering if i could get some input on how that tranny will hold up pushing an 8ft plow. Thanks all

2. tuna

tuna Senior Member

A C6 is not rare at all they have been around since the early `70s.Both my 89 F250`s had them and they are pretty much bulletproof.IMHO they are the best trans you can have for plowing.

3. Andy's Beast

Andy's Beast Member

The C6 is a great trans. I have a 95 w the 351 and E4OD trans, which is not bad. Good strong motor, make sure you check over the exhaust manifolds well.

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

my brother has a 96 f250 with 351 and C6. its a great drivetrain. the e4od is a lot more common automatic. i wouldn't say the c6 is rare, but certainly not as common as it was in the 1980's and earlier. the c6 is the best automatic ford built in my opinion. it lives in stock from behind seriuos 4x4's and muscle cars.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

oh, and oil pan, radiator support and rear spring hangers are common rust areas along with the exhaust manifolds, as mentioned. pay close attention to these parts

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I can tell you as an Ambulance driver for 30 years a C-6 will never let you down. I have never had one die under me. I can't say that bout all the others. You will not get real good MPG with a C-6 but it will go for a long time. They are really cheap to get rebuilt, mine cost $800 out the door for a full rebuild. Most modern trans cost $2100 on up.