1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think about this truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by the_lawn_wizard, Dec 7, 2008.

1. the_lawn_wizard

the_lawn_wizard Member

2. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

what kind of plowing will you be doing? are you plannig on a new or used plow? what else have you concidered for a truck or is this the first one you have looked at?
  3. the_lawn_wizard

the_lawn_wizard Member

This is the first truck that I have looked at if I get a plow for it it will be a new one and I would also like to get some safey lights for it and want to know what kind were the best and where to put them.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The only problem i would see with that truck is that it more than likely has a Twin Torsion Beam front axle. Those front ends really dont like the extra weight from a plow.
  5. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

well that will work but by the time you get it all set to go your going to have a lot of money wrapped up in it. my recommendations would be to go with Western on the blade, granted you have a dealer near by. for lights I would go with some sort of LED setup, preferbly just an overhead bar on the top of the truck. those will be all the light you will need. also your going to need a heavy duty fan clutch for the truck so you don't come back after it is all said and done complaining about it overheating. and if you go with anything bigger than a 7 1/2 footer then you will need Timbrens or air bags to help with the front end sag, although you might have to go with them if you put a plow on it period just to be safe. try looking for a truck that is already setup it might just be easier, cheaper, and faster considering the season has already started.
  6. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Looks very clean. The Dana 44 TTB (Twin Traction Beam) is a good axle. We have plowed with 3 TTB vehicles over the last 10 years and never had any problems. The Bronco should be great for driveways since it is so short, and it also has a great turning radius. It will also be able to pull your trailer in the summer.
  7. Blasco

Blasco Junior Member

I'd beg to differ. The TTB will give you pain.
  8. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

With the money into that and putting a plow on and lights I would think you would be able to find something set up already cheaper.
  9. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I agree. By the time you buy a plow, and make the front end strong enough to hold it, you could probably buy a newer 3/4 truck, with a plow on it. you will eventually not like the front end while you are plowing.
  10. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

i think you need to flip your thoughts. you need to get a better truck and find a used plow. theres no sense in buying all that equipment and then finding out that ur truck wont run or be dependable. you could even just use a fertilizer spreader for your salt so that you conserve money. Look on Craigslist i found an ok set up with a snow away plow ( i think thats the name) and a decent spreader ( dont know brand but it was orange metal with grey plastic and it plugs into your hitch) all for 3500 Obo. So just shop around but you really need to get a good truck (one with a bed to).
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It would be a nice driveway machine. Buy a used plow for NEXT year. Too late this year to get in the snow removal business.
    Or save your money till summer and then buy a used plow truck already set up. Alot cheaper after snow season.
  12. nekos

nekos Senior Member

the problem with buying a used truck already set up is that it has been plowed with !
    plow trucks are worked hard and rust out faster then a truck that sits in a garage on cold and snowy winter days.

im not saying it's bad to buy a truck already set up with a plow ... im just saying i haven't had any luck with used plow trucks.
  13. LooseLugNutz

LooseLugNutz Junior Member

I wouldnt use a Ford like that with front coils.....the frames have a well known weakness at the steering box.....better to get a 250 or 350 4x4 with front leafs
  14. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

My father had a 91. Just wait til you have to buy parts. :realmad: