1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think about this one?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Got a customer lined up last summer. Next door (1/4 mile, anyway). Then before the first snowfall, he lets me know he got a good deal on a used Boss and wouldn't need me after all. Ok, that happens. So today I'm fueling up at the local convenience store. He drives in and spots me. Told me he'd been trying to get ahold of me. He'd gotten stuck and needed pulled out.

Not really a problem. I'd be glad to help out a neighbor. Just thought it was kind of ironic.

2. jhughesIII

jhughesIII Junior Member

that is kinda funny

3. NEAL

NEAL Member

You could have told him you would love to have pulled him out but you thought he would probably buy a tow truck and not need you after all. :nod:

4. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

Now THAT would have been funny!!!

5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Hey Mick, definatly ironic. Hows the winter treating you??

6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

that's pretty funny. I would have shoveled all night before I asked the guy I cancelled for help. Must have been hard for him to suck it up and ask.

7. WBH Grounds

WBH Grounds Junior Member

8. Mick

from Maine

Kind of a mixed bag. Lost several accounts from last year due to people buying their own plows, private road account got a new guy who undercut me about half, one got someone to plow for free and one moved. On the plus side, we seem to be getting more plowable events over the past couple years and no repairs so far. I'm saving a lot on sand/salt mix since I got my tractor and loader and stockpiled my own. So I'm withholding judgement till the winter's over. Plus, I always seem to pick up several in January when people get tired of using the shiny, new snowblower.

This guy stopped by the house later and got to talking to me. Told me plowing wasn't quite what it looks like; That he was going stick to doing his own and leave plowing as a business to me. I might offer to buy his "slightly used" Boss next summer.:D

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Plowing always looks easy from "outside the truck"

10. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Hey mick should have not got rid of the big red drain (LOL):waving:

11. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Its a good thing every one does`nt find deals like your neighbor, or we would all be out of work :eek: :cry:

12. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Cracks me up everyone thinks plowing is easy, they don't think about the long hours, crappy weather, terrible driving etc, I love it when guys that have never plowed try to tell me how it should be done. Glad to hear you got a tractor, definatly will make things easier. A buddy of mine has a skid steer and sells me sand/salt at his cost. I've got a key so I can fill up whenever I need it.

13. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

that will happen!

14. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I have been really lucky. I have very good supportive neighbors. They put up with a lot and I mean A LOT. Bewtween the race cars, go carts, dirtbikes, quads, and everything else that goes up and down our common driveway, I have never heard a complaint. I guess when they see the tractor and trucks, they know that they are going to need help someday. When they need help, I have no problem giving it out. That is how neighbors is supposed to work!:nod:

15. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I would have told him to call a tow truck. :rolleyes:

16. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Ain't that the truth.

17. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I would have pulled him out , no problem.

You can't knock a guy for trying to do better for himself . So what if it cost you a few bucks , life's to short .

Just remember the old saying

Don't sweat the petty stuff , just pet the sweating stuff

18. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Quoted for truth.

He's a neibour. He was helping YOU out by asking you to plow his driveway. He purchased a plow and ended up not needing you. If losing on residential account affects you in any way. You are marketing wrong and probably in the wrong line of business.

I plow my neibours driveway and don't ask for money. He usually pays me anyways. He owns a welding shop and when I need something welded he doesn't ask for money but I usually pay him anyways.

It's just being neibourly/friendly. If my neibour went out and purchased a plow I wouldn't be mad. And if I went out and purchased welding equipment he wouldn't be mad. Neither of us are going to put each other out of business.

19. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

we've all been there..........

20. Mick

from Maine

No, he's not putting me out of business. Read my last line. I just thought it was funny in an ironic way. Although I don't plow for free. How can you say he was "helping me out"? When I shop at the local convenience store, am, I "helping them out"? I have neighbors who are carpenters, general contractors, electricians, plumbers etc. I used local labor as much as possible to build my house (the guy who built my foundation and landscaped my yard lives on this road). I didn't expect them to build my house for free. My mechanic I consider a friend. I don't expect him to repair my vehicles for free. The man and woman who own the restaurant where we eat are friends. I don't expect to eat for free. Why should I plow for free? Should I also give my neighbors Magic Salt for free, too, instead of expecting them to pay for it?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006