1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think about My numbers for neighbors Church?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by c2weech, Nov 6, 2011.

1. c2weech

c2weech Junior Member

Ok like the title says this is for my neighbors church. This would be my first commercial and would like to hear some input.

I am sure to not ask you guys to do this for me (cause I see others get roasted when they try it) so I just want to know if I am on the right track.

Attached is the overhead. The total lot space comes out to 117,523sq ft or about 2.7 acres.

I know about an hour per acre is average with a 7.5 blade, which I have with pro wings.

So 3-4 hours depending on snowfall sound right? I was thinking $250 per push 2-5inch or $450 6-9 inch

Opinions welcome!! Let me know how I did.

Also not sure if he wants walks shoveled but walk square footage is at about 3,000sq feet. How do you guys estimate walkway time? I haven't seen any posts mentioning it.

Thanks again

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You have to remember,your on a time limit sometimes. If it starts snowing Saturday night into Sunday you don't have a lot of time to get done.
  3. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

What's your cost per hour to run your equipment?

Before you price this or anything else, it really doesn't matter what we think about the price of this job. With all due respect, you can eliminate the need to ask this question by knowing your cost per hour and then implement an estimating process. We offer a snow and Ice management package for $129.95 that will take the guess work out of your estimating process. Check it out at www.profitsareus.com. Includes a comprehensive manual and two Cd's.

Call us if you have any questions or click on our sponsor link on the side bar.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

And beware, while Churches can be some of the best customers, neighbors/family can be the worst.
  5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

JMO, but I think you will struggle time wise with just one truck and a 7.5 plow w/wings. If you get 5-9" of snow or more you will be there a while. I also think your price is low. There is quite a bit of dickin around there. What happens if you break-down?
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not a simple push. Just a few questions. Where do you intend to but the snow? looks like there are limited storage areas.. lots of little areas and lots of places the snow needs to be relocated rather then just pushed to the side. what are you going to do if it starts snowing at 5 am stops at 8 am and services start at 8. IMO you will be there longer then you think
  7. c2weech

c2weech Junior Member

Really? I thought it looked easy as to where to push, just go to the outside perimeters. Though I am still pretty green this would be my first on my own but I have subbed on commercial lots.

Thanks for the help so far. Keep the input coming!
  8. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

In ideal conditions you might come close on the 3-4 hr. range, but add in any other factors; ie: wet snow, drifts, blizzards and forget it. As for just pushing the snow to the outside, what happens after the third snow fall when all of there outer spaces are gone? I've noticed around my area the bigger churches usually have someone with a wheel loader clearing the lot. I have cleared both churches and schools and sometimes you really need some H.P. onsite because 12:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. isn't the only time you'll plow. (like Christmas Eve mid morning 5" snow and it finally stops by 2:00, first service is 3:00: that's why we always use a wheel loader or two)
  9. c2weech

c2weech Junior Member

I will be covering the property Sat and Sunday. They have a fulltime in house Maintance guy that does the lot with a single church truck with same size blade.

This is why he approached me. What should I tell him ? that its too big a job for me or just that with 1 truck to set realistic expectaions up front and say depending on snowfall time and amount it could be too much for me to get done on time?
  10. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

You are going to want to salt all the walkways and the entire lot.... You don't want some old lady to slip and fall. You prolly would have to salt it more often to to keep this from happening. JMO.
  11. blowerman

The problem with big lots and pick up trucks are the unknown factors.(wet heavy, when will it stop snowing, et.) If you are covering for the weekends, they tend to have a tighter schedule. Sure it can be plowed with just a truck, but in a pinch; it's big tractors, wheel loaders, and even good operators in bigger skid loaders that can make quick work of an ugly situation.
    I'd say the bigger snowblowers and wheel loaders are the muscle behind well run operations. Trucks and single speed small skidloaders, we all own one: what makes you any better at clearing this lot than the next guy?
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

But not during peak "business" hours:D
  13. c2weech

c2weech Junior Member

ok regardless of whether you guys think I can handle it or not is my process for estimating the time and price good?

Do you guys break it down in that wide of range 2-5in (3-4 hrs) and 6-9 inches (5-6hrs??) 10+inches(7-8 hours??) is that good? or how do you add time for the more snow just double? For example how much extra time should I budget for say per extra 3 inches.

Again I appreciate the feedback and yes this maybe too much for me to handle... but please teach me the other issues estimating time and price based on the Area given ie am I on the right rack with my thoughts.... so I can learn.

14. blowerman

It's not that I think you can't handle this or the hours to truck plow are off. What most guys look at is when you need to have this lot cleared for a 9:00 a.m. Sunday service and snow is falling at 2" + per hour. Now what when you only have the one truck.
  15. c2weech

c2weech Junior Member

Ok how about people just tell me what they would charge for different snow amounts to see how what I was thinking compares with others

16. blowerman

If it helps you:
    1-2.9" $280.00
    3-5'9" $340.00
    6"--9" $400.00

The reality is I use wheel loaders, so a 4" snow or 8" doesn't make a big difference.
    But the numbers would work around here....
  17. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just because church starts at 8am ,they start pulling in 30-45 minutes earlier.
  18. pdmissle

pdmissle Member

This is not a good lot for a truck! The area near the covered entrance will need to be pushed a good ways to properly remove the snow. If you really want this lot look into renting a loader and price it out accordingly. Also keep in mind ice, many of the people attending this church could be elderly so make sure that you keep plenty of salt on hand at all times! I hope you have a large salter, your going to need around 2 yrds/tons per event.
  19. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

If this is your only account you'll be able to handle it with one truck. Unless you start getting a heavy long snow fall.

If it were me, I'd have two trucks on it and a skid steer with a plow and a snow bucket or blower.

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

IMO you should be good with your prices but you need to find a backup buddy just in case you run into trouble like if you do break down or if you fall behind or if you don't think you can get done in time