1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you thing 86 f-250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by lawnboyil, Feb 27, 2003.

1. lawnboyil

lawnboyil Junior Member

well i have decided agianst makeing my dodge half ton a plow truck. so i found a 86 f-250 6.9L diesel 4x4 with a 8.5ft meyers with a 174000 for $2750 what do oyu think good deal for a plow truck

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

it depends on the condition,but most 86's are shot if they have plowed for any lenth of time,beware. A truck thats broken down is useless. Id take a Dodge 1500 with a solid Dana44 over a TTB Ford 3/4 ton anyday for plowing,unlesss your carring a heavy V box or something else.What yr is your Dodge 1500?

3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

it depends on the condition on the f-250, especially the condition of the ttb. if everthing checks out, then it's probably worth it.

also depends on what you intend to do with the truck, like john said, if your not going to carry a v-box, or such, then the 1/2 ton will do just fine.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

That was the first year for the diesel and the 6.9 was gutless. Take a coolant sample and have it tested to see if the coolant system has been maintained. If the additives have not been kept up to spec, you'll be looking at an engine failure.

The C6 transmission is a tough unit and is one thing in your favor.

My old F-350 had the TTB front end, I'd never buy another truck with that setup. I'm a Ford guy, but this was a poor design. I had the driver's side housing break during a blizzard carrying a 8' Western, it really screwed me up. I had it welded once, it broke again, then I upgraded to a monobeam.

The price isn't bad if everything is in working order, but these are some things to consider.

5. John DiMartino

Pelican,1983/84 was the first yr for the 6.9 diesel.My buddy had one,at the time it was a monster next to the GM 6.2 diesel.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

It was still gutless, I think it was rated at 165 hp. Even when bumped up to the 7.3 IDI it was a pig. My friend had the '86 with a 6.9, it made torque, but no HP. It wasn't until they made the Powerstroke in late '95 that this engine made acceptable HP. We have a '89 F-350 with the 7.3 as a brush truck at the firehouse, it won't get out of it's own way.

7. lawnboyil

lawnboyil Junior Member

the dodge is a 95 for one thing . i know the 86 have go some power but no go. my dad has a 92 w/ the 7.3l that will move alot better. dont know what condition the trucks in but the guy selling it is a heavy equipment mechanic so that might be in my favor it was his service truck hes got a flatbed on it. he said it was only used to do a couple neighbors driveways. so my last thing is what is ttb?????

thanks all
    alex

8. John DiMartino

Ask yourself this,if the Dodge is a reliable truck,and you dont know the history of the Ford,you'd better to use the Dodge.you'll need to be mechanically inclined to plow with an 86,its going to need work to stay on the road,it may need a lot of work,or none,you dont know,Either way you gotta be able to handle it.If it were me,Id plow with the Dodge more than likely.TTB is twin traction beam suspension.It is a front end design used by Ford in the 80,s up til 97,on the F series 4x4s.To put it mildly it was a terrible design,it gave numb handling,no road feel,wandering,rapid tire wear,the spring rates were setup for empty truck only,any plow trucks needed help from stiffer springs/air bags on the 150's.On top of this,they ate front end parts,and were extremely weak.Weak to the point of actually breaking the front axle right in 2 .By the spring perch.When this happened,it usually took out the carrier assy,spider gears,and axle too.The TTB setup is garbage,the dana 44 on the Ram,while its not a 60,Its much stronger than the TTB on the F250.

9. lawnboyil

lawnboyil Junior Member

OH !!!! umm ya well so the IFS on my dodge should be to big a problem then .... i hope. anyone got a 7.5 foot extra blade and pump lieing around ???? well em and hte oddoge are on a understanding i got most of the problems fixed so i might just buy a blade instead of a another truck
    alex

10. John DiMartino

IFS? Unless you have a 2wd,the Ram uses solid axle's across the board,the Ram uses the D44.Just have the track bar,,u joints,and ball joints checked before you add the plow,if they are worn, you dont want to add any weight to worn parts.

11. lawnboyil

lawnboyil Junior Member

nope i have ifs on a 95 dodge 1500 sadly and i am haveing all the front end parts check and so forth.

12. John DiMartino

Ok,get your IFS checked out first:rolleyes: .

13. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

I have never seen a IFS, in a 95 1500 dodge dont mean to sound harsh just never have , Guess iam with John on the choice of trucks > Iam a ford man i have a 86 f250 gaser 351 know i found her sitting along the road for sale about 5yrs ago had a western 7.5 pro with cable drive was the only thing on the truck that looked good she had 92,000 orginal miles on her there wasnt a body panel that wasnt rusted dented or smashed you could see the road threw her rusty floors asking price 800 or best well i managed to get a door open drove her down the road ran great offered the guy 500.00 and drove her home. My wife screamed yelled and threated to divorce me over my new love, i did a complete resto using the cheap replacement body panels, doors fenders, cab corners floors etc used a box off a 97 f250 gave her a coat of red, went threw the mech end of her. Long story short i have been in the mech and body repair for 20 plus years yes ttb has problems this truck out of all my newer ones is still the best old lady i own,
    If your really not mech or willing to learn stick with the dodge.

The reason i bought her just wanted one truck or two that i didnt have to break the bank to get and i keep saying her because her is correct her name is agie short for agnes of course

14. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

DO NOT BUY ANY OLD FORDS. been there done that .i've owned many new fords over the years. the old ones are flawed.that truck will nickle and dime you to death.. now if that was an old chevy or dodge then i would buy it..

15. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

all trucks nickle and dime you to death, its' the nature of the way we use them.... be it chevy , ford, or dodge.... Old or New... Things just dont hold up period... wires corrode, metal cracks, nuts behind the wheel get loose, you know what I'm sayin....