1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you tell your drivers about stuck cars & plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by theguynextdoor, Oct 27, 2009.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I was just wondering, what do you tell your drivers to do if they see someone stuck in a snow storm? Or if they should plow a driveway for someone who stops them or not? Do you tell them not to plow for them or take the name and number so you can call them?

People always say all these plow trucks drove by without offering to pull them out, but it is a liability for the company to have their drivers pulling people out. I always stop to help people out, but its my company. Cops have actually pulled over while I was helping people and thanked me for pulling them out. Of course, I'm not going to put myself or someone else in a dangerous situation or bust my truck trying to pull them out. I think I am going to tell my guys not to pull anyone out or plow other driveways not on their route.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i usualy always help people out if i can and have time, karma is a *****, and i'd hope people would do the same if i needed help.
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i believe in helping people out too, although i also tell my guys that if they ever feel uncomfortable in a situation, or to ask themselves, "would my boss like to know about this before i do it", and then to phone me anyways, lol, seriously though, i am ok with helping people out, however if i expect to be paid, i always make sure people understand that before i stop, especially when plowing, why should my clients pay and others not for my services.
  4. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

i have no problem pullin people out, in fact one could make some good money off it, i basic pull from a tow could cost them $125 or more, so say charge $50 or $75 a pop and go at er. i get out of the liability by having them hook the chain or rope to their vehicle themselves...otherwise one could just print up a basic disclaimer...speaking of which, the towing companies have one the releases them from any fault of damages to the customers vehicle anyways, so, i can see people go for you for the better option.

RODHALL Senior Member

I pull them out, for the simple reason of . they are going to call me to tow them out anyway..

Plus if i stop and help someone out, i hand them card, about 50% of the time, if they need there car fixed, they give the nice guy who helpped them out a call...
  6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

We are not allowed to pull any one out at the place i work for. If some one is stuck in a lot I'm doing i can help. Other then that we check if they are all right, have a cell phone and leave it at that. To much liability if some thing go's wrong.
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

It depends on a lot of things. If I have time then maybe, if it can even be pulled out without damaging my truck or there's. I would tend to stop and see if they are ok or need to make a call then keep going. I only have 2 trucks so if one goes down helping some one who was probably careless I'm screwed. Plus the last time I pulled some one out he took off after I unhooked the tow strap...wtf! no thanks or $$$$.
  8. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

We'll help out a fellow plower stuck in a parking lot, but on the side of the road, absolutely not! Waaaaay too much liability. If somebody's upside down in a ditch and the car's on fire, absolutely, do the Good Samaritan thing, but there's way too much liability involved with yanking a car out of ditch. My drivers do that they're fired, no if's, ands, or buts.
  9. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

Thats what Tow trucks are for.

So youd be the Lowballer in the tow truck industry...Would you like it if the tow truck driver started plowing driveways for half of your quotes?

My strap only hooks to fellow plowers in need.
  10. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

x2. good way to get hit by traffic
  11. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Never allowed for our employees. Grounds for dismissal.
  12. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I built a relationship with a huge towing co and they will call me when needed and I will do the same, If I see someone stuck my guys will stop and make the call if needed.
  13. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

If your truck is pulling your the one on the hook if you damage something. My guys will stay and help in anyway but will never hook up and try to pull someone out.
  14. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

My guys are told not to pull anyone out, will they pull their wife car out, I'm sure, another plower probably. If it is one of my staff, a sub, or friend of mine definitly we go help, all the trucks have straps in them. I got a couple call last year from guys in the business (friends) that were stuck to see if we had a truck in the area. Ussally if I get stuck, I need a ride to get the loader, I don't do it half way. I will pull out another plower if I have time, & doesn't look like a lowballer, good deed thing etc.
    A car no way. To much liability & I make a commitment to my customers. I will stop check to make sure there OK, have phone, etc. If there still there when I go past a second time I call 911.
  15. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

My policy as well.
  16. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I will help out some of my buddies in the area plowing snow, but i will not pull a car out of a ditch. I will stop and see if they are okay and give them the number of the tow company I use for when I get stuck :help:! I know the owner and I throw a lot of business his way in the winter. They take care of the plowing companies first during the winter months, because we are all trying to get through the big storms without losing are heads :dizzy:.I remember two years ago when I got stuck in between a drive and house and I called them up and the dispatcher said 3 hours. I called back and asked for Mark and he had someone there in 15 minutes. I was sitting in the tow truck filling out paperwork and there were a few tow truck drivers getting real pissed off because all of the idiots out driving and getting stuck even though every city around cleveland was a level 3. which means dont drive at all. I also having towing on my insurance. it costs me $1.20 a month to add it and all I have to do is send the bill to them and I get completely reimbursed payup. So Ive got that going for me which is nice.
  17. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I usualy stop and pull them out and I never charge them.
  18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Who wouldn't help them out!

19. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, I didn't say our policy was without exceptions...
  20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We will stop to see if they are OK.
    Some we will pull if their attitude is decent.
    Always pull out another plower.