1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you spread icemelt with?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jlouki01, Dec 18, 2008.

1. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

What do you spread sidewalk ice melt products with?

2. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

1 50 lb bag fills a 5 gal bucket. Spread by hand while carrying the bucket.

3. Snowplowkid

Snowplowkid Member

Use a grass seed spreader, thats what i use.

4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

We just use cheap Scotts fert spreaders.

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yep. Same here for most places. They are lightweight and easy to handle in and out of the truck, and put out a nice even dispersal. It is SO much fatsre than doing it by hand. I like the way the handle is set up, too. If you want to go a little lighter in some areas (or not at all, you just release on the spring loaded handle. You are able to just slow down a bit and have perfect of the width for different walks. Now, for the larger places, we still use a Lesco stainless 100# spreader with side flaps.

6. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

alright I'll share our secret. take a snowshovel. pour bag on the shovel. should hold 20#. pick up the shovel with the hanlde under your armpit and hand wrapped under it. now just flick the salt with your other hand as you walk. gives you great control of coverage is fast and you dont have to carry anything else in your truck.

7. lowcostlawns

lowcostlawns Junior Member

I have a busted lesco junk spreader that seems to do the job. Half the time I just throw it down by hand.