1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you recommend for air pressure in tires with plow on?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by bebop86, Jan 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bebop86

bebop86 Junior Member
    from nj

Guys I have 2012 2 door with the stock 17 inch tires- With the Western HTS plow and about 300 lbs. of weight in the back- How much air should I have in the tires for proper plowing- thks

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What does it say in the door jam or glovebox tag

3. coke813

coke813 Member

The same pressure you should have in your tires every day without the plow on.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

That's only correct if you've got OEM tires. When I switched tires, the recommended tire pressure was 10 lbs. less. But I run the maximum pressure recommended by the tire manufacturer.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The OP posted " the stock 17 inch tires".
    so yea.

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

35 psi is what I would run

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ummmmm WHY?

8. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Whatever the sidewall of the tire recommends, if they are E load's usually around 80psi is max so 70-80psi is where I would be

9. JustJeff

Why what?? What was so hard to understand? My OEM tires took 75 PSI max, my Duratracs take 65 PSI max.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't run at the recommended pressure every day, air them up to that pressure, because you are now loaded.

Wish I was loaded right now.

11. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The first thing I would do with that Jeep is purchase a set of junkyard rims (or new if you have $$ to blow) and put a set of Firestone Winterforce LT tires on it, and use them just in the winter.

They're freaking AMAZING in the snow/ slush / wet roads. We had our first round the other day, and there were areas where the snow / slush was really slippery. My truck stuck like it was on rails. I didn't even have the 480 lbs of ballast in the rear of the bed yet.

My front tires, I run the max pressure on the tire sidewall. The rears, I run them 10psi less. I do this simply because the rear of the truck is significantly less heavy than the front, so the reduction in tire pressure helps grip a bit better.

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

80 psi in a jeep....?

13. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

So you dropped from e to d right?

14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

What is so hard to understand about WHY? why do you pump the tires up to the max?

The tire not only has the max psi it also has the max load @ the max psi.

If your not running the max load but you run the max psi your over inflated. the tire wont have the proper contact patch on the ground and its going to wear out the center area of the tread.

15. JustJeff

Yes, I went from E to D (unknowingly at the time). Once I realized it, I checked the sidewall of both the old and new tires, and the load capacity was the same. Don't know why. If I don't fill them to maximum PSI the whole truck feels sloppy and loose, especially the front end.

16. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Are you mudding and rock crawling or are you using it as a work truck?
    Are you putting an 800-1000lb plow on the front and appropriate ballast in the back?

17. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I've never ran 80 psi even on 10 ply tires. Rides like ****. My last 3/4 got ran at 65 psi.

18. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Lmao at some comments... always gonby factory rating. If you are hauling enough in a jeep to need e rated tires with 80psi then youbhave bigger concerns than tire pressure. For what it is worth when i started plowing in a 98 wrangler i always went down to 20psi and never had an issue. This was also with a little 6.5 meyer plow, but we did have 31in all terrains on it. Even now my 3/4 tons i just run what they call for on the door. The engineers spent a lot of time deciding what settings are optimal for each vehicle, the tire companies simply offer the max psi the tires can safely handle, doesnt mean it is optimal for every vehicle and application.

19. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

x2 and I think we are speaking of the same loaded!!! Lots of interesting info here.... :drinkup:

Look at your sidewall... make your best judgement from there. That number is the MAX inflation not the recommended inflation.

Too much air will crown the tread faster, under inflated will wear the outsides faster and if you hit something with the tire hard, blow out or cause rim damage.

20. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

I run about 35 in mine (Cherokee). I think 36 is the max as I recall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.