1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you perform? Sand, Salt, A mix, All

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bowtie_guy, Feb 22, 2007.

What do you perform?

1. Only Salt

33 vote(s)
  2. Only Sand

0 vote(s)
  3. Spread a mixture of both.

14 vote(s)
  4. Depends on weather, will use either sand or salt.

9 vote(s)
  1. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Just wondering how many only salt. Only sand. Do many people run a mixture of salt and sand??

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I only salt for now. The whole sanding thing as far as I know isnt too popular here. If it gets too cold I use calcium chloride. Plus I use my fertlizer spreader for my salter, since my lots that I salt arent too big and I am young
  3. Rickco

Rickco Member

I check "depends on weather" but it really depends on which properties I'm doing. We have lots of gravel drives,lots and roads,they get a sand/salt mix (only about 15% salt to keep the sand from freezing). All the black top gets straight salt.
  4. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

I usually spread a mixture of salt and sand for the entrance and exits of the parking lot I plow. Mostly this is because it is a steep hill. Then Usually I spread some salt around in the parking lot and walkways.
  5. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Sand with about 5% salt mixed in.

I don't know of anyone here who uses straight salt - usually too cold. I am guessing you are the same Bowtie - I am in North Bay, ON
  6. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I do mostly gravel walks, roads, lots, etc. No pavement or concrete so the only effective solution is a salted sand mix. Can't use just salt or all I would have is speckled ice/snow that looks like swiss cheese! BTW you almost have to use salt in the sand IMO b/c otherwise when it gets cold (it does here!!) the sand will become a big chunk of cement that you can't use unless you store it indoors in a heated area. Even if you stored it under cover in a dry area if it gets cold you cannot really use it reliably. All bulk sand has moisture in it. Don't believe me, go grab some out of a kids sandbox when it is below zero! Even with the salt in the sand we have to store it under cover to prevent freezing. You could store it open air like the local highway dept. does but their pile is about 1000 cubic yards I would say and they have a big 2-3 yard loader to break through the crust.
  7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

straight salt sprayed with sugar beet no one wants snad here because it takes the finish off of the floors inside
  8. GTS

GTS Junior Member
    from ontario

What does everyone charge for salt sand mix? I've been reading up on salt and it seems to vary from 15 cents to 50 cents per pound. Do you guys charge them same amount for sand?
  9. Goodall

Goodall Junior Member

I only salt for now. The city trucks are now using a deicing liquid, so i might be using liquid soon
  10. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

I don't even know where to get bulk salt around here, and I don't really know why I would want to go with straight sodium anyways.
  11. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Up here it depends on weather it seems. Parking lots are often done with sand. The city uses sand on side roads and salt on the main roads that become bare. Now they are testing some liquid solution but I'm not too familiar with it.

Never really thought about how in the real cold sand might freeze up. Have seen it but didn't think about it.

I know it varies by location but pricing would be nice to know. payup
  12. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

i sell my salt for .45cents a pound that includes me spreading it.
  13. kkls2006

kkls2006 Member

Salt & Sand mix, unless otherwise requested....