1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you pay your Subs?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Rhinohd, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Rhinohd

Rhinohd Member

Whats a fair wage to pay your sub contractors (hourly)? They all own their own trucks and are good workers. We are in the midwest. Thanks!
  2. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Sub $$$

I have a few that get $50/hour some $40 with the smaller trucks...
  3. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

It varies from one subcontractor to the next with me. Depends on a number of things like experience, availability, condition of equipment, reliability of the driver and equipment, and efficiency. Rates are $45.00 - $70.00 an hour with a five hour minimum.
  4. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I sub out to a guy when my stuff is all done. I get $50 an hour, 4 hour min.
  5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

are you subbing com/res?

Being paid hourly are you subbing commercial? If residential, is getting paid per push bad?
  6. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Yes I am being paid hourly for commercial lots. I would never plow someone elses driveways. I hate doing my own. :bluebounc
  7. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Sounds like being a sub is not so bad. You don't have half the headaches & you still get to plow snow & make decent money! payup I like the 4 hour minimum! :waving:
  8. chris k

chris k Senior Member

The other nice thing about being a sub is you get to sleep. You don't have to get up every hour to see what it is doing outside, try and decide when you should go out, etc. You go to bed and wait for the phone to ring.
  9. mike48116

mike48116 Junior Member

Our subs get 60-70 per hour, but we only take the best the area has to offer.
  10. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I am very picky about my guys. Nice well maintained trucks and a provable good work ethic. I start a new guy at $60 / hour, but I tell him how many hours each job takes until we hit 6 inches. I also try to give a Christmas raise to reward dependability. 2$ to 5$ per hour. Seems to work pretty well.