1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you need?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by adhiggie, Oct 30, 2009.

1. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

I am just wondering what I should look at getting other than a plow? Any ideas?

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

well you need a shovel, you should look into getting a beacon or strobe of some sort, emergency kit with like a tow strap, and first aid kit, and you most defintly should have a tool kit with you. and, depending how light your truck is, you might wann Carry some salt or sand, and if your doing commercia, you will need a salt spreader

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Maybe a truck?

4. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

I agree, those plow things are heavy and its much easier to push the white stuff around with one of those four wheeled things.:laughing:

No really, if you want a good answer you need to give us much more information... what kind of truck, what kind of work (resi/comm).. the list goes on and on.

5. bryanR

bryanR Member

ok not to be rude and i know im still new here. but at the top of the forums theres a few stickys that will help you out with this question. and also look around on some of the other threads that have been started in here.

6. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

Ok I have the truck... Sorry I forgot to mention it!

Truck: '01 Ford F150 4X4

Market: Small amount of residential, Mainly Working for a commercial company. They have special salt trucks so I do not need a spreader.

Ok What kind of tool kit? Basic? Advanced? Etc.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  7. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

INSURANCE!

12 posts and you post this? I think I might like you already :salute:

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Basic tool kit to include Crescent wrench, pliers and duct tape. Set of hoses and hydraulic fluid. Cell phone (to call tow truck). Extra gloves and socks. Shovel. Tow strap. Sand (mix with a little salt or keep warm to keep it from clumping). Coffee and snacks.

9. bryanR

bryanR Member

dont forget a pillow and a blanket for one your taking those quick naps

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Some accounts to plow...:dizzy:

11. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

-Big tow strap, with looped ends, no metal hooks.
    -fire extinguisher
    -road flares, NOT a bad idea, for yourself, or maybe someone else sticking out in the road
    -Extra gloves
    -couple shovels
    -can of de-icer spray
    -spare wipers
    -get one of those tool sets that are on sale at sears, and a cheap box
    -electrical tape, wire cutters, duct tape
    -flash light
    -energy drinks
    -water
    -12 gauge

12. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

Haha I carry the .44

13. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

Truck that will handle the job you plan to do.
    Plow
    Shovel
    light for the roof of the truck
    Tools-flashlight-Hammer- sockets-ratchet-knife-vise grips-pliers-wrenches-screwdrivers you get the idea.
    Few spare hoses and pins
    Good tires on the truck.
    Tow strap
    Multi pairs of gloves and hats.
    Sand or salt or both.
    gotta have tunes
    Drinks

14. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

Thank you to all who responded. I know that the question may have seemed to some like it was redundant but I honestly failed to find this kind of a list through the search. FYI I have been reading all over the site and am learning many things. Before I was on here I had no idea how I was going to learn about so many of my questions. Now I know!

A Big thank you to all who helped me with this question!!!

15. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

dont forget INSURANCE!!!

16. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

You guys keep saying a pillow and blanket.... who has time for a nap when the payup is falling.... are you doing some kind of over the road snowplowing?