1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you like/want/need in a shop?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JimMarshall, Jan 28, 2016.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Looking like it might be getting time to expand my shop, I need some additional storage. Looking to add on a pole building addition (shop now is a pole building)....... Trying to come up with some cool stuff I may want to do....

Any ideas of things you wish your shop had, or things that you have that you don't know how you lived without?
  2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

kegerator :drinkup:
  3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Damn...first thing I thought of too
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A 25 gal brew kettle and a 30gal fermenter.
  5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Honestly I was just joking...Im really just a dirty white boy, that when it comes down to it, prefers canned domestic beer.

On a serious note: 2 top things that come to mind I would do, if building a new shop...."minimum" 18ft ceiling height & heated floor
  6. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

CNC Mill, CNC Lathe, CNC Plasma table/plasma cutter, Press brake
  7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

A stage with a Brass pole mounted to it........

60X100 X 16, Wash bay, cold storage, warehouse pallet racks, welding area, 200amps of power, lift, H/C running water, toilet, ventilation, separate 20X40 work area with radiant heat.
  8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Things I have on this shop that I should have done at last one.

Radiant Floor Heat - Best money spent on building
    Washer & Dryer - rags, muddy/ nasty clothes - keeps my wife happy
    On Demand Hot Water Heater (Great for Washing Trucks)
    Floor Drains a plenty - Should have done a trench down the middle though
    Extra man doors - keeps the overheads closed in the winter
    Separate employee bathroom - keeps the office one clean
    Urinals in bathrooms - keeps the toilets clean
    14 ft wide overhead doors - if you hit them... you suck
    Commercial ceiling fans - moves air in summer - pushes heat trapped up top down in winter
    Soda Machine filled with beer - well does that need explaining?

Things I still am needing to change:

LED Lighting - I am in the process of loosing these stupid metal hilate bulbs on the exterior. Ballasts, starters, bulbs... F um - ordered the last of the bulbs today.

Stairs to the lofts - I have lofts over the offices - should have built stairs up there a long time ago - ladder sucks

More outlets - why I don't have one on every post... I don't know

Things that I cant change that I should have though of or done when building this shop:

Expansion joint between office concrete and shop concrete - every single little thing that gets dropped on the shop floor is heard in the offices... should have put and expansion joint between the two

As said above, I should have ran a trench drain down the center of the overheads. The floor drains work, but not as good as a trench drain when washing trucks.

I should have heated the approach to the doors before we did the exterior concrete, but it was such a rush job before the temps dropped and I was burnt out from the summer work by that point, I said screw it. Next shop... right.

I am sure I will think of more things...
  9. Philbilly2

Almost describes my shop perfect... minus the pole... maybe my priorities are screwed up hunh...
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Subscribed.....not that I'll ever have the money.
  11. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

This is interesting because I am currently purchasing a piece of property and plan on moving my landscape yard and putting up a new shop. Here's a couple things I am planning on in the future, a car/truck hoist, new wire feed welder, steam cleaner and in floor radiant heat.
  12. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Building Stairs to our lofts was one of the best things we ever did.

Right now I have 55x66x14 foot to the trusses with 55x30 of it closed in with heat as a mechanic station - auto lift, work benches, and an office/break room with a separate bathroom. The center 25 feet has full height ceiling and there is 15 feet on either side with 7 foot ceilings with loft space overhead. Office is detached, 35x25.

Unfortunately, with the way the property is designed and the side of the building I want to build onto, without reconfiguring the property, re-engineering the roof, or building an entirely new shop around this one and tearing the old one down, I'm going to be limited to about a 10-11 foot ceiling. wanting to add on 20 or so feet so I have 75x66. I'm ok with the 10 foot ceilings though as the new portion I am intending only for cold storage. Will have concrete floors, overhead lighting, and minimal outlets, one overhead door at each end, thinking I'll do a sliding door from the cold side of my shop into there.
  13. Philbilly2

Funny you say that... I just cut a 6ft double door into my shop between cold and warm sides. My shop side houses all of the tools and what not, but my cold storage side is where the guys pull the trucks in to melt off and load material. They were always cutting threw the offices to get from one side to the other so they did not need to go outside.

I didn't mind it until they tramped through with muddy feet or bouncing tools off the drywall in the office. One day.. went to Menards, got a door, blasted a hole... that cured that issue.
  14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

We're all screwed up.........

But most of what I listed will be in my next building, one thing I didn't mention was a reloading room with a short overhead door (like a concession stand) so I can shoot off a bench oot of the weather and an archery range.
  15. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

First thing to consider is size, you never have enough room it seems.

Second, goes right along with no.1, for a pole type building, the width is what makes it (more) expensive. You can add way more sq. ft. cheaper by adding length.

Third, I just read this idea in the latest Farm Show magazine, if you can build so that you have a long wall with a southern exposure, buy a bunch of patio doors for the upper 1/2 of your wall, the sunlight will heat your shop 30 degrees on . if you put offices or other storage on this wall on the first level, then you would be able to use the patio doors to bring larger items in/out. Could even put a deck off the side and use that as roof over cold storage under.

The heated aprons are a great idea, if your doing the floor anyway.

I would like one stall to be drive through.

If you do a partial second level, above offices, etc, with stairs, build under stairs storage on wheels that will pull out. You can label the different units with what's in them.

Pallet racking to use that wasted vertical space for storage.

outlets, never enough

Just the tip of the iceberg....
  16. Philbilly2

Thought of a couple more things:

My air compressor is on the cold storage side - air lines are piped in trusses with drops through both sides of the shop with hose reels at both overheads and multiple reels in shop side. Great when you are using the sandblasting cabinet or working on a truck with air tools. You don't have to listen to that noisy bast@rd.

CO2 detectors... they are rigged to a relay that kicks on the exhaust fans simple idea, but it has been nice a few times

3 phase power - though I don't have anything that runs on it right now... it is nice to know it is there waiting if I do need it.
  17. Philbilly2

That is the truth.

My old shop was 3000 sq ft. Seemed good. Almost doubled the size with this current building and I still look around and ask where the f was all this crap in the last building??? Even parking all of the trailers and extra trucks outside in the yard now where before a few of them were inside in the last shop. I don't get it... I guess with more space you seem to acquire more junk?
  18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I like big power.

Wireless internet, large TV, dog house and a dog or two.
  19. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Paint booth.
  20. JimMarshall

from NW PA

What do you do for a living?