1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you have in your emergency repair kit

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by brookline, Oct 23, 2009.

1. brookline

brookline Senior Member

I called my BOSS dealer today about buying an emergency repair kit I was told it would be $300. After I picked myself up off the floor he told me I could put together mt own for a fraction of the cost. So what do you all keep in yours?
  2. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

in mine i have 3 quarts oil, one of each hose- the small one for the lift cylinder and one larger one for the angle cylinders, nice pair of gloves to work with, solenoid, fuses, couple adjustable wrenches and channel locks, dielectric grease, some white lithium grease, 1 phillips and flat head screwdriver. thats about all i can think of. got a tool box in my backseat wit all this stuff. i also have a boss if that matters.
  3. nekos

nekos Senior Member

A few pins, some hoses and some hydraulic fluid. If there is anything more serious wrong with my plow i bring it in to my bosses garage and take care of it there.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I put one together for a customer today. Not quite factory but functional,
    a 12volt motor solenoid
    2 qt fluid
    angle hose
    lift hose
    headlight relay
    dielectric grease
    three snap pins
    a hinge pin
    2 fuses
    a can of fluid film
    three cone shaped cups for water coolers; they make great disposable funnels.

I carry the number of the tech responsible for maintaining my plow:D
  5. brookline

brookline Senior Member

The kit I was looking at today included a ratchet strap to lift it up and hold it for transport while broken. Where do you strap it to to hold it up. Thank you for all of the advice.
  6. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

I called about the boss repair kit as well and the dealer told me it was just an over priced tool kit... So I ended up purchasing these spares:
    1 of each hose
    a trip spring

I did purchase a new solenoid but that is due to the fact I currently dont have one didnt bother purchasing two since I believe it should last atleast one season and I will pick up another next season.

I have also heard about people stating that you should have extra cutting edge bolts as well...

I also have a link on a cheap(brand new) power unit that I might pick up for a spare as well.

I also have a ratchet strap from my offroading trucks kit.

Also I will be picking up some fluid from a local dealer tommorrow, just wondering how much fluid I should get(I have a 8'2 v blade) and will be changing the fluids in it as well so how much would yall get?
  7. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

i have straps in my truck so didnt think about it but definately a neccesity since you cant short chain it like westerns or fishers. basically just run the plow up on a bank if you can and strap it from the aframe to the light tower and tighten it up to keep the blade up