1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do you hate the most about plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John Mac, Jan 9, 2009.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

My typical night is from 1am to 9am with 6 hours in my plow truck and 2 hours in my salt truck. I don't mind the work so much but the sleep sucks. We have had 28 nights already that I have spent plowing and at least that many days that I have tried to get some sleep to make up for the lost sleep at night. It is very hard to sleep during the day with kids, phone, sun, etc. Besides the cold this is the worst part about plowing.

2. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

The fuel (gas) costs... I only plow my own place! Oh yeah, there is another: freeze thaw cycles; where everything underneath turns to glare ice, and the 'snow' is wet heavy and icy...

On the positive side I do like it when I'm done!

3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

getting up after 2-3 hrs of sleep before the storm and knowing im not gonna see my bed for at least 20hrs.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What I hate most is the little places I can't speak my plow into and have to shovel! You know, like the spot in front of a garage on a tight side loading garage where they have a short brick wall extending off the side of the house for NO REASON other than to be in my way! I should just let them shovel it!

5. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I hate when it snows heavy at 5 am, you go clean up lots and by 9am getting phone calls about why the lots have snow on them...

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Don't you know all of your customers think they are your only customer? :dizzy:

7. Easy

Easy Senior Member

I hate driving on the not plowed roads with drivers driving in the middle of the road at 25mph. Make for a long drive.
    Don

8. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Getting up at 2, 2:30, 3, 3:30 and having to make the call on what to do. Typically this is the scenario when it starts to snow at that time or is going to quit at the worst timing. I guess bad timing storms would be a better answer.

9. KCB

KCB Senior Member

Anyone or anything that happens to be in my way at anytime for any reason. Plowing more than thrice a month. And a couple of the hillbilly plow guys around town.

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I vote for the idiots on the road.

11. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

I vote for the people who work for practically nothing making hard for the rest of us to be a legit business. LOWBALLERS SUCK!

12. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

getting out of the truck and idiots driving in the middle of the storm

13. Pitt4212

Pitt4212 Junior Member

Never being able to book a family vacation because you never know when it is going to snow so therefore can never book a winter vacation (I own a construction company so going away from March to November is out of the question).

14. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

people that leave there car in the middle of the driveway......

15. Sciticofarms

Sciticofarms Junior Member

What I hate most...about plowing.

What I hate the most is.............NO SNOW! All the rest of it I can handle.

16. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

The little sleep I get when it snows and long wait between storms (gotta love NJ )

17. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I hate when it snows!

18. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

the sun coming up in the mornin dont put on a happy face.

19. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

People who drive in and park where you have windrowed snow and are obviously cleaning.

I also cannot stand it when people try and race to get in front of me on the roads. And then they honk when they get squished into the snow bank in the slow lane that hasnt been cleaned up yet.

There are other aggravating things too. But I wouldn't want to complain too much! LOL

20. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

[QUOTEGetting up at 2, 2:30, 3, 3:30 and having to make the call on what to do.][/QUOTE]

I'll second that one.

Also, there was a storm where it was during the day, we cleaned/up and finished everything by 1:30am. Then knowing you have to salt again at 4am, that sucks. There's not enough time to sleep, yet too much time to just wait. What do you do? A bunch of my other contractor friends call echother and go out to a Diner for breakfast, just so we can stay up.