1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do you guys use to cover salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by beam, Jan 5, 2012.

1. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

we have a three sided bin made out of mafia blocks 24x18 and we keep on hand about 100 ton. we use a tarp now and i am trying to find a better solution any ideas????

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Carport or soft garage on top of the blocks.

3. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

Is the area 24x18 or the blocks steal buildings are not so expensive if you plan to have it permanent but must use corrosion prevention for the steal also farmers are using those industrial coveralls like the tarp garages but bigger and stronger

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  4. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

use 2x4 's, make shift truss'es, then plywood roof, nail a tarp over plywood

5. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

if your going to do that having trusses made to spec are cheap they are enginered are fast made no messing around in the cold for angles tell them the size and pitch its done then plywood and shingle if your going to use it for years to come a tarp would be a temperary fix

6. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

Or you can use hoop house trusses secured to rebar inserted into the blocks and stretch white greenhouse plastic overtop.

7. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Coverall building, hoopshed, anchored to your mafia blocks Tarps are a pain in the azz!

8. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

thanks for the ideas it is in a wind location and needs to be removed in the spring any thoughts

9. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

10. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I used a cheap shelter logic soft garage this year on top of my blocks. It by no means is a permanent answer but will last thre season. I paid 200 bucks from Home Depot. Make sure you do a search on here and you will see the same building. Use plent of ratchet straps from the top frame to the rebar anchors in your blocks. It looks neat and beats a tarp flapping in the wind.