1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys use for residential work?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mojob, Sep 7, 2006.

1. mojob

mojob Member

This will be my first season plowing and I'm just wondering what the best setup is. I have a Boss V and a Walker mower with a plow attachment. I was planning to back drag the driveways with the V plow and clear the sidewalks with the walker. The problem is that I would have to trailer the walker which wouldn't work out. How do you guys do it? Also, last year I used the Boss V on my driveway just to get used to it and it did a crappy job. I was back dragging and all it did was pack down 1" of snow on the drive. Could the blades be worn out? I bought it used and it's at least five years old. The wings folded back a little too. Is this normal for a V plow?
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

your always going to leave something on the driveway backblading unless you have a "backblade" attachment or down-pressure, its because the angle of the blade is set up for pushing snow not pulling it. Leave the walker at home unless your doing commercial, a shovel or single stage snowblower are easier to carry around. if you have salt on the driveway your plow will clean better because the ice crystals aren't locked into the pavement making it easy to push the snow off.
  3. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Check to see if the two horizontal cylinders on the back of the plow say "Smartlock". If not you may want to purchase a set. They help to prevent the blade from folding.
    I'll usually back drag until I can back the truck up to the area that has been dragged. That way I get a good cutting edge on most of the lot or driveway.
    The other thing that I've found with the Boss is it seems to work better if it's NOT on float. I try to lower the blade to just before float and if it goes to float I tap the up button. It seems to scrape better.