1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do you guys use as ballast?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by serafii, Nov 5, 2010.

1. serafii

serafii Senior Member

i was at the shop today, pulled out the plow and threw some ballast in the bed.

got a whole bunch of work to be done to the plow. these new plows are made soo cheap compared to the old speedcast models. the moldboard and the ribs are soo flimsy.i gotta reinforce the outter ribs because ive been straightening them out atleast twice a year.

while i was there i also threw in some ballast onto the bed. hopefully it'll be enough. all i gotta do to the truck is turn the t-bars 2-3 turns.

i got a quote to sanblast and paint the plow/mount. the guy wants $300. definitely better than taking 2-3 days off work to sand/grind it down and paint it myself. only down side to it is that it wont be fisher yellow anymore. he uses a standard yellow, that he uses on all his other blast/paint jobs. its almost like the yellow from an old CASE loader.

i was just wondering what you guys use as ballast and how much. lets see some pics.

IMG00055-20101105-1545.jpg

IMG00056-20101105-1545.jpg

IMG00057-20101105-1545.jpg

IMG00058-20101105-1546.jpg

IMG00059-20101105-1720.jpg

2. serafii

serafii Senior Member

the last one is a picture of what it looked like when i took it home from the dealer.
    poor thing went thru war

IMG00060-20101105-1721.jpg

P1010909.jpg

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The blade looks like it's brand new now. Nice ballest set up also.

4. serafii

serafii Senior Member

the plow looks like it caught a beating, the last picture is from 2006 when it was new

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I just read that woops sorry. You should post some pictures after it got painted.

6. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

A SnowMan pull plow. Works as ballast, too, among other things it does.

7. Welderguy24

Welderguy24 Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said :nod:

8. serafii

serafii Senior Member

im hoping the paint shop is open tomorrow so i can bring it in, if not its going in monday and should be ready by the end of the week.

i wouldnt spend money on a back plow for a pick up with i have my new holland with a 7'-11' pull plow on it. although i love those ebling plows.

9. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

home depot ....sand bags...$1.50 for a 20 lb bag

10. OHSIX6OH

OHSIX6OH Junior Member
    from Maine

I have been using the 70lb. sand tubes from Lowes. They work great and gives you something to throw down on the ice . Only pissah is they sometimes will freeze up solid :)

11. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I use sand also ....

12. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

I got 500lbs of sand bags.

13. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I don't plow but I still use sandbags for ballast

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Bags of salt or tractor weights. Sometimes both.

15. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

loaded sander/salter. plus bag salt plus snowblower

16. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Very creative with the ballast. I use my ebling

17. serafii

serafii Senior Member

Thanks, I'm just waiting for my fall clean ups to be over then I'm gonna be adding about 10-12 40kg bags of salt

18. timberjack

timberjack Member

I use a 100 gallon slip tank, it stays on year round, bolted down to the bed. Though it's just above/ slightly ahead of the rear axle, but imagine the extra 800-900 pounds helps anyway. I make sure i load up on fuel when there's snow forecast.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  19. habart30

habart30 Member

I use 10-12 concrete blocks. May seem funny, but in Michigan its cold enough that snow fills the bed of your truck, and stays there all winter. The snow compacts the blocks so they don't slide around. Worked great for me last year :)

20. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

I have four 5 gallon buckets at the tailgate 2 full of concrete and rock and 2 are salt buckets. Plus the snow blower, 6 bags of salt, spare tire, and all my tools in the bed box, I figure I am somewhere around 800 to 1000 lbs.