1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys to to prevent couplers from seizing?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by alcs, Dec 26, 2014.

1. alcs

alcs Member

Merry Christmas to all.
    I was wondering what you tractor snow guys are using on your quick couplers ,to prevent them from seizing up ?
    I was thinking white lithiulm grease on the fittings before i re install them.

What do you think?

or what do you use ?

Many thanks in advance.
    Murphy

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We use Fluid Film.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'd say f.f. as well, other then that, propane torch

4. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

Fluid Film, always keep a propane torch handy.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Fluid Film

6. alcs

alcs Member

Well I guess that answers that question unanimously.

Thank you very much.

I guess you spray the fittings completely before re installing them ?

7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

kroil or pb blaster

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Seizing from What?

All my years never had one seize up now had some freeze up torch or De-icing can frees them up
    Ones I plug in the tractor never have problem some times I have to shut the tractor off to pull them out due to pressure in the lines

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He's talking about quick couplers. Generally on a loader or front harness you them so you don't have to take hoses off running to rear of tractor.

10. Antlerart06

Yep I have them on the front my tractors even have them on the plow
    Like I said never seen one seize up only freeze up with ice

I trying see what or where he OP was having problems at ?

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Well you've been lucky if you've never had them seize up. We use to run angle blades on our loaders for loading salt and it was a constant battle to unhook and re hook up so we just went to running pushers to avoid the couplers. They do make screw together quick couplers that make life way easier if there happens to be pressure left in system or anything is partly frozen. Quick couple seize up from lack of use or freezing. Fluid Film help to lubricate and keep the water out. Never though of a propane torch but that does sound like a good idea also. I'm guessing the area you live in will dictate how many problems you have also.

12. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Just be careful if using a torch. Last year it was a bitter cold morning and I got a little over zealous and left the torch on a little bit too long (a few seconds total, but thats all it took with the yellow gas) causing the seals to warp/melt. Those quick couplers are not cheap parts to replace.... especially on a skid steer....

13. Antlerart06

I see what you are call seizing They are freezing up with ice build up

I guess I don't have to remove mine out in the field on the tractors
    But my Skid I do switch between plow to bucket When they do have ice build up I use a Can of De-icing and I hate them flat face couplers

14. alcs

alcs Member

Hey guys ,many thanks for your replies and help.
    I have been spraying the couplers with fluid film for a few years now, but never physically removed them and sprayed them.
    They are seizing up from not being used (removed and reinstalled)
    I though just spraying the complete fitting would help but it did not.
    They are all now free, and i wish to prevent this from happening again.

They are not freezing.

water is probably getting in from ice and snowremoval work.
    So i am going to spray the quick connect couplers completly this time with fluid film, by removing and spraying everywhere before reinstalling.
    Again many thanks for all the responses.

Murphy

15. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

They sell fluid film in a bottle with a applicator. I would buy that and brush on the fluid film. It will make a much thicker coat of FF and last longer. Or buy a gal pale and dip them in it.

16. alcs

alcs Member

maelawncare ,
    thanks for the idea,
    I have a gallon of fluid film i use to spray the equipment in, never thought of using a brush to make sure everything was coated properly.( sometimes the obvious is to obvious, lol at myself)

Have a GREAT new year all, and thanks for all the info.

Murphy